DIY Dosing Ring Funnel Tool Life Hack

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
GPespresso

#1: Post by GPespresso »

1. Rum Baba Mold $3.49 CAD. Aluminun. 2.5"tall. 2.5"top diameter. 2"bottom diameter. Brand Crown Cookware Supreme.
2. Cut bottom with dremel.
3. Enjoy.
4. No Static.
5. You're welcome 8)

More pics.

Ron_L

#2: Post by Ron_L »

Great idea, John! Of course, I would have to buy a Dremel and extra bandaids :D It would be cheaper for me to buy a dosing ring. :shock:
...ron

LMWDP #356

coffee cat

#3: Post by coffee cat »

who sells them?

cruiten

#4: Post by cruiten replying to coffee cat »

Here is one that I am aware of from Orphan Espresso: http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Alumin ... _2415.html

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Nice creative find.

Reminds me of my PVC plumping part feom a big box store that I bought to use as a porta-filter holder for the Arrarex VAM.

and it's NSF approved !! ha ha
Sometimes I find I need both hands free after I placed the basket in the round bottom tippy PF. :?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

GPespresso (original poster)

#6: Post by GPespresso (original poster) »

Ron_L wrote:Great idea, John! Of course, I would have to buy a Dremel and extra bandaids :D It would be cheaper for me to buy a dosing ring. :shock:
lol. The things we do for coffee.
:D

GPespresso (original poster)

#7: Post by GPespresso (original poster) »

coffee cat wrote:who sells them?
Dosing ring or Rum Baba Mold :?:

Rum Baba Mold (or Rum Babba Mould) available at any kitchen baking supply store or online.
Aluminum preferred b/c softer & easier to cut. You can cut with a Dremel or Hack saw if you're handy.
Use a paper coffee cup for your prototype to get you cutting measurements.

I even made one with an aluminum beer can that day. Cut lid off with a can opener & cut can in half or to size with scissors. Taped sharp edge. Fits perfectly in a 58mm basket. Got inspired to make a better one.

Later that day went to ARES kitchen & bakeware supply superstore to buy some Coffee Bar cups by Konitz on liquidation & stumbled across the Rum Buba Molds & the light bulb went on :idea:
Didn't even know that they existed.

I just got tired of the mess the static was making around the grinder. It looks better than sawed off beer can life hack. Made the wife happy too :D

JDP

#8: Post by JDP »

Cool