Kruve coffee sifting for drip/pourover - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jpender

#31: Post by jpender »

Yes, I believe you're right. I didn't calculate it, I just sloppily assumed it was the mean. The only reason I mentioned it is because it demonstrates a deviation from a normal distribution. And that's true whether it's the mean or the median.

It's probably a dumb question but what is the goal?
I see my grinder on that google chart -- what would I do with the information?

namelessone

#32: Post by namelessone »

You can use it calibrate your grinder, and measure in an objective way how the grind distributions across different grinders are and what settings roughly correspond to each other?

Using the sieves for example I can deduce that ~10 micro settings in a Vario is equal to 1 macro setting, rather than Baratza's claim that 1 macro setting is equal to full range(26) of micro settings. This is quite useful information to me when adjusting grind sizes.

jpender

#33: Post by jpender »

So it's a way to share recipes? Rather than just say "medium fine" or something like that you could say grind level X, and then look up on a chart for your grinder what X means?

The "zero" of my grinder is currently arbitrary as it has changed from when it was new. It came from the factory set by a particular method, one that I find difficult to reproduce consistently. So I don't worry about it. I just concern myself with relative changes. But obviously the zero point is critical if one wants to synchronize with other grinders.

By the way, I calculated the mean the way you suggested. I came up with 577um, which is pretty close to the primary mode.

EDIT: It's quite possible I did something wrong when trying to massage the numbers. The method you describe is how you calculate what is called the "mass median diameter", or D50 for short. So maybe what is listed in the chart legend as the "x(50 %) lin Medianwert" is actually D50, the same thing you are calling the "mean".

dr.need.coffee

#34: Post by dr.need.coffee »

Hey guys, long time lurker decided to create an id for this interesting thread! I bought 6 sieve kruve just now. I stumbled upon this thread Taste impact of fines mainly tells us about the fines are a finnicky friend and shouldnt be chucked out and ignored. I wondered have anyone tried playing around with fine : coarse ratio? Like mixing a bit of fines with grind of intended size and see how it goes? I imagine too much fine is definitely bad but a little fines provided that it attaches to other grind might be helpful. I guess the question that i tried to raise is how much fines is too much? :D

renatoa

#35: Post by renatoa »

Why not perform a cupping with different grinding settings, then sieve the winner to find the ratio of fines that bring the taste you liked more ?

thecoffeefield

#36: Post by thecoffeefield »

One way to do that is not to go by the recommended settings. Instead of sieving using 400 and 800 and then add back some fines to the middle tray, you can just move to the 200 micron sieve for example as that will let more fines stay in the middle tray.

namelessone

#37: Post by namelessone »

dr.need.coffee wrote:Hey guys, long time lurker decided to create an id for this interesting thread! I bought 6 sieve kruve just now. I stumbled upon this thread Taste impact of fines mainly tells us about the fines are a finnicky friend and shouldnt be chucked out and ignored. I wondered have anyone tried playing around with fine : coarse ratio? Like mixing a bit of fines with grind of intended size and see how it goes? I imagine too much fine is definitely bad but a little fines provided that it attaches to other grind might be helpful. I guess the question that i tried to raise is how much fines is too much? :D
My understanding is that they don't contribute a lot to flavour, mostly because they have so little mass, but they can affect mouthfeel and brew clarity in immersion brews, and flow rate for drip brews. My immersion brews are typically improved by removing fines, but for drip I haven't managed to improve them by just removing fines. It seems that it causes flow rate to increase and channeling to happen when you sieve out the fines for V60 for samples..

malling

#38: Post by malling »

I'll question the old wisdom that fines only contribute in flow and/or body, I'll also question the wisdom that they only contribute negatively or positively. In my "research" fines aren't just fines, what fines contribute with in a coffee depends on their state, either as free or as "conglomerate" with larger particles.

Free fines seem to do nothing good, these just over extract and we would be better without, but removing fines all together also give a pretty boring cup of coffee that lacks mouthfeel and taste, it seems like that the larger/optimum range particle extract better when these are clustered with fines for some reason, and fines sticking doesn't seem to negatively impact the coffee as the free dos.

namelessone

#39: Post by namelessone »

Chart now updated with new EK43S numbers..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 8FR9Cy1fjA

Note how little boulders are produced, compared to everything else.

Unrooted

#40: Post by Unrooted »

When it says 19 under the Lido E is that 19 dash marks from burrs touching?

It seems like a more scientific approach would to have at least 3 different-random beans used. Different roast levels and age seem to produce varying levels of fines in my experience.

Has anyone had a chance to try this with a Bunnzilla?