Kafatek distribution tool vs others - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
asaf

#21: Post by asaf »

kingdarb wrote:Nice. I recently bought and received the SAI puck type distribution tool.
Glad to hear.
Would you care to share what made you pick the SAI tool over the Dozer? I'm still undecided between these two.

SameGuy

#22: Post by SameGuy »

They're both beautifully made, but considering I paid around $300 for my Vario, $60 for the RB and $500 for my little Silvia, $139 plus shipping for a technique improver just doesn't fit the budget. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the different SAI tools now. I get the Wedge, but what is the Shot Collar? Looks like a funnel with a wire that acts as a rake? This could be a better leveled than a solid "plow" like the Dozers and Wedges. Then how does the New Levy work? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kingdarb

#23: Post by kingdarb »

asaf wrote:Glad to hear.
Would you care to share what made you pick the SAI tool over the Dozer? I'm still undecided between these two.
I tried the SAI at a local coffee roaster. It worked really well and coffee didn't stick to it at all. I also was partial to the hardwood inlay. I was impressed so I got it, and I'm glad I did. I am sure the Dozer is also a really good product.

kingdarb

#24: Post by kingdarb »

SameGuy wrote:They're both beautifully made, but considering I paid around $300 for my Vario, $60 for the RB and $500 for my little Silvia, $139 plus shipping for a technique improver just doesn't fit the budget. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the different SAI tools now. I get the Wedge, but what is the Shot Collar? Looks like a funnel with a wire that acts as a rake? This could be a better leveled than a solid "plow" like the Dozers and Wedges. Then how does the New Levy work? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When I spoke to the vendor that I bought the Wedge and New Levy from, I asked about the shot collar. They said they didn't really like it that much, and recommended the Wedge over the SC. As for the New Levy: It is a 58.5mm puck tamper where you set the depth of the tamp (so your dose weight needs to be fairly consistent). It takes tamping pressure out of the equation and makes the puck absolutely level. I really like it. Using the Wedge and the New Levy, I don't even WDT anymore and I get no channeling with a bottomless (using a K30 as a grinder - YMMV).

SameGuy

#25: Post by SameGuy »

That's good to know, thanks! I'm the only espresso drinker in the house and pretty much *always* make 23g triples in a VST 22. Maybe I'll search under the couch cushions for some change and add the New Levy at some point. :D

slickrock

#26: Post by slickrock »

Curious how you folks are using the Kafatek distribution tool: do you spin it clock-wise or counter-clockwise? I find spinning it counter-clockwise first to get more distribution, followed by clock-wise polish works best.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

YseanY

#27: Post by YseanY replying to slickrock »

I'm spinning clockwise. I tried counter clockwise and found a bit of grinds stuck in the groves.