Anyone try the Brewista Scale v2 - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DaumierS

#31: Post by DaumierS »

avid wrote:My question to you is: how could a scale know that was the last drop? Maybe there will be one more and one more... the only way this could work is if the espresso machine had a gate that closed and informed the scale. Otherwise the scales logic would have to build in time while it watched and waited thus making the ending time inaccurate.
I googled it and it looks like Acaia Lunar can do exactly that, the autostop:
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/acaia/lunar

Brewista can't.

I experimented with the latter, and I confirm what avid wrote above, the timing feature works, if you turn off and then turn on the scale before each use.

Headala

#32: Post by Headala replying to DaumierS »

I think a variety of selection of scales is great, and I'm glad that people like their Brewistas. Having said that, the Acaia Lunar I have does what you're asking, and I almost never have any frustrating experiences with it. Whether that's worth the price premium is up to each person of course. But I wouldn't part with mine even if someone offered me substantially more than I paid for it.

DaumierS

#33: Post by DaumierS »

Can you please tell me if Lunar makes the things easier for you? I have also a Hario scale for just $40, and for timing I just push the button twice, to start and to stop timing. Hario is not water-proof, of course, but I never actually spilled too much coffee onto it. Is it justified to pay $250 extra in order not to push a button twice? Is it more convenient? In a new espresso machine I am going to buy there is an option to buy a special tray that accommodates Lunar, so I'd like to get a feedback as to is it worth it.

Thanks.

Nik

#34: Post by Nik »

I have owned an Lunar for a couple years. After going through what seems like a dozen scales the Lunar has been incredible. It has never failed. My wife accidentally knocked it off the counter and I thought it would ruin it but it didn't affect it one bit. I have wasted a lot of money on all types of barista related items but this one is a keeper. If something happened to it I would immediately replace it.

Headala

#35: Post by Headala »

DaumierS wrote:Can you please tell me if Lunar makes the things easier for you? I have also a Hario scale for just $40, and for timing I just push the button twice, to start and to stop timing. Hario is not water-proof, of course, but I never actually spilled too much coffee onto it. Is it justified to pay $250 extra in order not to push a button twice? Is it more convenient? In a new espresso machine I am going to buy there is an option to buy a special tray that accommodates Lunar, so I'd like to get a feedback as to is it worth it.

Thanks.
When I was buying mine I waited until I found one on sale for $50 off. So that helped the sting in my wallet.

I basically don't ever operate the Lunar. In the mode I use, I start the preinfusion on my machine and then the Lunar tares itself and starts the timer when I put the cup on. Counts the time and weight of shot. Stops the timer when there's no more weight gain and flashes the time and weight for a bit. Then seems to know when to tare itself again. So there isn't much manual operation in my workflow unless I need to change modes to use it as a normal scale. Turns itself off after I haven't used it in a while. Never needs charging. Waterproof.

I've also thought about having it embedded in the drip tray but I think I prefer it to be movable. Flushing onto it won't hurt it, but it would be annoying to have to wipe it off to make sure the weight it stable.