Bezzera Strega air leak

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
db

#1: Post by db »

Hi Everyone, I've owned my Strega for just over a year and was recently cleaning the filter basket. I had it turned off to let it cool down a bit before removing the filter. (I normally leave the machine on all the time) Once I turned the machine on again after cleaning the filter, it is leaking a bit of air when it maintains its temp. After some time the pump kicks on and off again for a few seconds. Sometimes it is as brief as 1-2 seconds. Because of the pump noise, I can't leave it on at night as it wakes me up when the pump kicks in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where this is coming from and how to fix it? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David

justgrindit

#2: Post by justgrindit »

It could be a steam leak from the vacuum breaker or the steam tap. Since you always kept the machine on I lean towards the vacuum breaker as that part only contributes when the machine turns on or off. It may have accumulated some scale and now it's not seated properly and allowing some steam to escape. Once enough steam escapes, pressure drops in the boiler and causes the pump to turn on.

You can try to identify the leak source by opening the machine and checking for steam leaks using a mirror. Once you know the source you can remove and de-scale the part if you're hands on. Or take it in for service.

db (original poster)

#3: Post by db (original poster) »

Thanks Mike for the idea and quick reply. It has stopped for now of course. Next time I clean the shower screen we'll see if it happens again, then I'll beak out the mirror.