Baratza Sette Series FAQs

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Baratza
Sponsor

#1: Post by Baratza »

We continue to update the FAQs on the Sette Series, including topics related to the Sette 270 Wi, please check them here: http://www.baratza.com/sette/

dale_cooper

#2: Post by dale_cooper »

Why does it seem some settes have shipped with the espresso burr shim and others haven't. For example, I really need to contact you guys because I am maxed out on fineness at 1a and the shot is barely pulling slow enough. Meanwhile, the suggested 5a setting is good for many users. I don't understand why there is such a huge variance in some settes having the ability to grind fine and others not.

Edit: I just set the sette to 1A and the double shot was 20-21secs on my mini vivaldi.... Can't get it to slow down.

Advertisement
sluflyer06

#3: Post by sluflyer06 »

Baratza wrote:We continue to update the FAQs on the Sette Series, please check them here: http://www.baratza.com/sette/
Maybe you could comment or help with a Sette 270W that is now completely dead as of this morning, does not grind. Barataza has completely dropped the ball, this grinder worked fine on delivery, then a few weeks ago the grind speed (motor rpm) become noticeably sluggish and video was sent to Barazta on Baratza's request...was told its "normal"...which is odd because the grinders behavior was substantially different than when it was first delivered.

Well...turns out "normal" actually meant it was dying and is now completely lifeless other than powering on.

Headala

#4: Post by Headala replying to sluflyer06 »

See my similar problem here: Baratza Sette - End User Reports

ramkr

#5: Post by ramkr »

I have the exact same issue. Too fast at 1A, even after adding the shims. Can someone please let me know how to resolve this?
dale_cooper wrote:Why does it seem some settes have shipped with the espresso burr shim and others haven't. For example, I really need to contact you guys because I am maxed out on fineness at 1a and the shot is barely pulling slow enough. Meanwhile, the suggested 5a setting is good for many users. I don't understand why there is such a huge variance in some settes having the ability to grind fine and others not.

Edit: I just set the sette to 1A and the double shot was 20-21secs on my mini vivaldi.... Can't get it to slow down.

ramkr

#6: Post by ramkr »

I got response from Baratza, so I thought I could update it for everyone's benefit.
Calibration of the adjustment assembly takes place entirely through shimming of the cone burr. Have you installed a second shim? What is the size of your portafilter basket and what dose are you applying to it?

We may need to send more shims to you if you haven't installed the second already.
ramkr wrote:I have the exact same issue. Too fast at 1A, even after adding the shims. Can someone please let me know how to resolve this?

dale_cooper

#7: Post by dale_cooper »

ramkr wrote:I have the exact same issue. Too fast at 1A, even after adding the shims. Can someone please let me know how to resolve this?
Adding my experience here -

Baratza sent the shims. I installed 1, which didn't grind fine enough cause I moved the setting back to like 5A or so. I then figured what the heck, I'll install the 2nd shim. 2 shims made it WAY too fine, to the point where the grinder started grinding the beans very slowly and probably put strain on the motor. I now have a single shim in and the 3 range seems to be working well for my shots. 1 shim is definitely enough to grind too fine now... (that happened yesterday).

I would be concerned if you actually needed more than 1 shim.

Advertisement
zany13

#8: Post by zany13 »

When I first got the Sette 270, I could not get a fine enough grind even on 1A.

I got the shims last night, I put both shims on, and after dialing the right 18grams for my VST basket. I think its producing decent shots at 11C

1A to 11C!! But as I was finding the right dial, I was going from 3 --> 5---> 7 etc... the motor was strained. You can see the grinds were clumped up, the motor was extremely slow. The grounds also felt a bit warm, maybe I dialed a few shots in sequence over a few min.

Its seems like its ok at 11C but should I remove 1 shim out just in case?

Will taking out 1 shim, dialing to the right grind consistency be the same effect to the motor as having 2 shims at 11C?

Chu

#9: Post by Chu »

Baratza are saying just use one shim. probably better to follow that line and work your way towards shimming to the extrme if one doesnt allow the range you require.

My 270W has being doing a couple of odd things that ive noticed lately. Firmware related i think. First one was resorting to changing the user settings (a random adjustment from my preset to 365 grams on both the 2 that id programed) after me not seemingly engaging the PF properly and then manually dosing to fill...both settings showed a 300+ that it was "stuck on" til re programing the amount. (cant remember exact amount sry) so far only done it once, but ive only tried to manually dose once lik this. but it was a pain, thought it a firmware flaw rather than end user error.

The second was th hopper microswitch jiggle. not got this pinpointed specifically but this morning required dicking around and realised it was the hopper that was the common denominator... it wouldnt grind and instead would beep, show an error reset msg. Possibly a normal error but its a bit bloody random....