Arrarex VAM \ Caravel vs Strietman CT1

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

I'm looking for current or past owners of these two machines Arrarex VAM \ Caravel and Strietman CT1 who can compare the results in the cup and the overall difference in prep between the two.
Price of these is vastly different.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

If you're going for the same style, the cup can be similar, though the Strietman slightly larger. The Strietman has a much more flexible range though, where the Caravel is more just one style unless you mess around with multiple pulls.

Prep routine is much nicer on the Strietman, I've written about the two in comparison on the CT1 thread before.

redbone (original poster)

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Thanks Mitch, I found the link. Owner experience with the Strietman CT1

I even commented on it but forgot about it since then. I like the CT1 for many reasons. Each has to justify value, I just can't see the 4x premium (with shipping) over an Arrarex.
I do understand that it's a small volume machine made of good materials and well engineered.
They seem similar to each other, each having some advantages and disadvantages.
It's a good time to be in the market with many recent lever buying options.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Hudson

#4: Post by Hudson »

Though it is not out yet, this machine may also compete in the same market space. It appears to be a modern, open boiler, affordable lever.
LMWDP #534

#5: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to Hudson »

redbone wrote:
If it does not have the ability to self heat is it not just another revision of the ROK espresso maker then ?

Paul_Pratt wrote: Paul Pratt has something cooking
The Presso is a modern version of a 50's idea, there were many machines like that in the 50's. Mine is more like the original 50's machines, but with upgraded materials, a bottomless and double spouted portafilter, a killer 58mm stainless steel basket and silicone seals.

This will not be similar to a Arrarex VAM \ Caravel or Strietman CT1, since it will not be self heating.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Hudson

#6: Post by Hudson »

I was pretty sad to see that. I'm also looking for an open boiler machine similar to a Caravel/Strietman
LMWDP #534

#7: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to Hudson »

I think it comes down to the logistics of electrical certification and cost. One could alway use a Sous Vide in the tank. (referring to Paul_Pratt machine)

Something like this probe control typically used on heating pans would have been a cheaper alternative to implement.

https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-06900-El ... B002JDTLIS
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

You have a Caravel or two already no? My limited experience as that the VAM is no better. Slightly more solid build but no difference in the cup.

I developed a simple 2-3 pull technique to consistently milk 30g shots out of my Caravel. If you want 60g shots you'll need a CT1, or you'll just need to make 2 on the Caravel.

I find a 15:30g shot, extracted at around 20% (measured roughly) to be a perfect dose. I do the same with my Sama/PV machines (actually I've gravitated towards 15:20g shots). I can have one every few hours over the course of the day, 4-5 total, maybe 6 in the summer. That way I enjoy the espresso ritual frequently as an escape from the sameness of modern being, without losing any sleep. The after-dinner espresso I just crafted between this sentence and the last is lingering sweetly as I write this.

Since I pull Italian espresso blends almost exclusively I finally ditched the Caravel for the spring-lever Sama with the same group size. A shame aesthetically because the Caravel is so attractive, but I don't need the temperature control, and I actually prefer the spring.

The Strietman is in a class by itself, one that I am not likely ever to experience. If I were a manual lever lover with a passion for variety in coffees I would have to have one. I don't doubt at all that it would be worth the price.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."