Izzo Alex Duetto or Quick Mill Vetrano 2B Evo - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bob_McBob

#11: Post by Bob_McBob »

malling wrote:As I had 230v available (eu), recovery where never an issues, even with v2b relatively small boiler, however the Duetto steam where never that impressive to begin with. Point is you'll find machines that do the steaming aspect better and faster, example I vastly preferred the steaming of the Vivaldi over these two.
I've tried a bunch of machines in this class, and the Vivaldi is hands down the best steamer of the lot. That said, I think a lot of steaming issues people have with their machines are due to improper steam tip selection. My Duetto originally came with a small 2-hole tip, which was adequate for small milk drinks, but rather anemic. I've gone through a bunch of different tips over the years with varying success, finally settling on a particular 3-hole tip that produces the best results with my 1.3 bar pressurestat setting. Optimal steam tip selection has been discussed in the past, but it often gets overlooked.

Optimal steam tips
Chris

TrlstanC

#12: Post by TrlstanC »

The biggest problem I've had with my Duetto is that the LEDs in the PID controller burnt out, which meant having to replace the whole thing. I think they switched parts, and I haven't had any problems over the last few years with the new red LED PID controller, which I assume is the same part in the latest model. It seems like both Izzo and QM have been making consistent improvements to their machines over the years, and either of the two would address the couple tiny issues I had with my machine (like not being able to easily just turn on the steam boiler).

I think the choice would come down to tiny differences in preferences or aesthetics, either one seems like a great buy.

Renegade

#13: Post by Renegade »

I was considering the same options as you two years ago. I am now with the Vetrano 2B EVO.

1- Reliability and parts availability: The e61 group parts (valves, cams, springs, gaskets etc...) can ben ordered via internet and I had no issues finding them at local retailers. Specific parts regarding this machine are like any other one and they should be ordered via a local retailer or bought from the internet. I had no issues with the machine at all. The design of the internals make it easy to DIY repairs, even if it is not the cleanest internals I saw on a DB machine. Regarding reliability, I chose the Vetrano for several reasons: pump mounted under the motor, return/overflow lines to drip tray instead of dripping on the internals of the machine, boilers drain valves and cup clearance.

2- Minor issues: I am lefty and the design of the machine is perfect for me: steam wand is on the left and I am holding my frothing pitcher from the left hand. For other persons, the pitcher can be in conflict with the handle of the portafilter. You can modify the wands for sure, but... The pump adjusting screw was not aligned with the hole in the casing, so it was impossible to adjust the pump pressure without removing the casing. I had to loosen the collar between the pump and the motor to align things up.

3- Consistency: Incredible. Minor changes with the PID settings when changing from huge humidity in the summer and severe dryness in the winter. Honestly it is something I did on the first year, but this year I just leave it like that and I only overshoot of 1 degree, sometimes...

4- Boiler contamination: No. Like any other machine, water quality will decide of the scale/rust/contamination you will get, so this is not a specific machine problem. The Vetrano 2B EVO boilers are T.E.A coated and the were clean and clear at every 6 months inspections I made to inspect wear/contamination and adjust my cleaning routine on the first year of use. I am using a modified CCS water filtration kit (softener/carbon filter).

5- How long I own the machine: 2 years.

iflutist (original poster)

#14: Post by iflutist (original poster) »

Just an update. Finally decided on the Vetrano 2B Evo and it is now sitting beautifully in the kitchen! Thank you all for your advice and help. My final three came down to the Duetto IV, Vivaldi Mini, and the Vetrano2B.

Reasons I went with the V2B were:
Price
TEA Coating
Flexibility of machine (15/20amp, tank/plumbed)
PID/Shot timer
Cup clearance
58mm PF

*The machine is bigger than I imagined but luckily everything fit under the counter

The shots have been good, getting more body and complexity on the same beans than the NS Oscar-- still dialling in.
Steaming has been okay. I switched between the provided 2 and 4 holes. I love the 4 hole as I am used to that on the Oscar but getting the silky foam is so far a challenge. Will give it a few more days to find the sweet spot, would appreciate any suggestions and tips! Oscar has equal or even more power on the steam but I had no problem getting silky smooth foam. Matter of practice!

G.F.

#15: Post by G.F. »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: I would purchase the Duetto again if I were not buying a Speedster, Slayer or lever. It's mainly a question of esthetics; both machines are excellent and comparable. I prefer not having toggle switches on the faceplate and prefer the lights on the Duetto..
I allready did and I would purchase the Duetto again or a lewa!