Bad flow and channeling near end of shot - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Sam

#21: Post by Sam »

And you're sure you have enough headspace on your pucks (e.g. that you can lock in a dry puck with a nickle on top of it and then check that the nickle didn't make an indentation?)

When I used to get issues like this, I would just throw my hands in the air, pull out a triple basket, coarsen the grind, and dose 21 grams. I don't think that was always the best solution... :)
barouet wrote:I was told not to look at the pucks :wink:
I can sometimes see the dispersion holes indeed.

RyanJE

#22: Post by RyanJE »

barouet wrote:Thanks everyone.

I tried yesterday and today with a different coffee. Coarser setting, 1:2 normale, still the same end of shot phenomenon. I tried with our without WDT. Taste was unbalanced anf salty.

I quickly tried 17.2g in a 18g VST and the flow seemed much more constants, with less of this watery channeling flow.

Also, my grinder is 2 week old. Could this be related to break-in?
What coffees are you using? The beans and roast play a large role in how easily and evenly they extract. Also, 15g baskets are quite finicky and are probably always going to be on a pump machine without profiling. I say this because some shots may just not look pretty.

I typically use a 15g VST and some coffees no matter what don't behave....in fact some look like in your video... focus on only 1 change at a time right now and stick with it. Or post your prep routine video.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

barouet (original poster)

#23: Post by barouet (original poster) »

I'm using this Ethiopian Kercha: http://www.anchoredcoffee.com/buy-coffe ... pia-kercha
Its now 9 days old.

I'm not using this 15gVST basket anymore, as the taste were significally better with the 18g one.
LMWDP #585