If I was a traditional barista in Naples

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

What would be my most likely:

1. Group temp
2. Brew ratio
3. Shot time

Anyone spent enough time in Naples to know approximate answers?

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

While I have lived in Italy I haven't spent enough time in Naples to observe this myself; however for a brief period of time I was an admin for a coffee forum for Italian baristas, a fair amount of whom were from Naples.

In general the coffee is roasted rather dark and is often dosed at 8g per single as opposed to the national norm of 7g per single.
There is a fair chance you would be operating a lever machine, they are fairly common in the Campania / Calabria regions.

Brew ratio will vary from bar to bar, ranging from a ristretto to a slightly long normale.

Shot time will also vary, most being within the 25 to 35 second range; perhaps a bit longer on a lever.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Dominico,

Thanks for the detailed reply; that is very helpful.

Does anyone know the approx group temp that these lever machines would usually be run at?

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Just guessing at the group temp based on what I've tasted there I'd say low end so I'd start at 200 f and work my way down a bit. My sample size is smallish but in my experience, the tendency is towards less in the cup so more ristretto type using a slow extraction on the lever as dominico described.
LMWDP #483