Fuji Royal R-220 - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ripvanmd

#81: Post by ripvanmd »

I have the same grinder. Generally use it for chemex. Initially I was impressed but then the Rafino ruined everything. Getting much better draw down with the lido e. I've tried to determine whether or not the Fuji burrs would be plug and play, to no avail. It's a cool machine, let us know what you think of the consistency.

CwD

#82: Post by CwD »

The drawdown seems significantly worse on it than on the Bunnzilla when using it for Bonavita Immersion Dripper. Which isn't too shocking, the consistency is mostly impressive at French press and coarser to me. Much finer than that looks decent, but nothing special. But what I'm really excited to try it for is the Blue Bottle Hario Nel drip method.

I'd imagine Fuji Royal R-440 burrs would be interchangeable, but I don't really see the point since I'm fairly sure they're identical anyway.

CwD

#83: Post by CwD »

Does anybody know how the bearing is held on? I'm trying to replace it with a fresh one since it's pretty scratchy, but I'm not seeing anything that could be holding it on.

Almico (original poster)

#84: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to CwD »

Bearings are usually pressed in or on.

CwD

#85: Post by CwD replying to Almico »

Is it friction fit in a way I could I lift it off with a flathead and push the new one on, or is this a "machinery needed" kind of job?

CwD

#86: Post by CwD »

Replaced the bearing today! Pulled the old one off with a gear puller (and some butter knives since the flanges wouldn't fit under it), then pushed the new one on. This thing is real quiet now.

cheefai7

#87: Post by cheefai7 »

Hi, will you all sieve your coffee ground before brewing it, considering Fuji Royal did produce quite amount of fines, which tend to be over extracted.

Almico (original poster)

#88: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I get startlingly few fines with mine (ghost burrs), especially when ground coarse.

I get more with my Compak R120.

CwD

#89: Post by CwD replying to Almico »

Same with my Jericho (R-440 internals) getting less fines than my Bunnzilla. Thing has it's limitations, but excessive fines isn't one of them.