Ponte Vecchio Lusso leakage halfway through pull

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
SultanMA

#1: Post by SultanMA »

Hello guys,

There is something bothering me with my PVL. When I pull the lever, halfway it pushes about 20g water then stop.

Is this normal?
Will it affect my extractions?
Shall I change the whole piston?

Here is a video of the problem:
Your help is appreciated.

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

There are three seals on the piston (see the image on the website link below). I guess the middle piston seal is damaged and water is sitting between the seals. When you pull the lever that water bypasses the bottom seal.

I won't hurt in the short term to use it, but you should change the seals. It is a lot easier to change seals with a piston tool, that you can buy of print with a 3-D printer. I bought one recently and it makes it super easy. You can order parts and see the piston image here:

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/rica ... cchio.html

Good luck,
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

SultanMA (original poster)

#3: Post by SultanMA (original poster) replying to peacecup »

Thank you so much, I already have the tool and the parts.
I'll change the middle seal soon and see what happens.

ripvanmd

#4: Post by ripvanmd »

To totally hijack the thread....would you think coffee in the boiler to be a seal issue too? I just purchased a PVE used and have coffee in the boiler with each shot. Was told by a reliable seller that the seals were just replaced. I too ordered the service tool from Italy. Hijack done, apologies.

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Yes sounds like a problem with the lower seal.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

ripvanmd

#6: Post by ripvanmd »

Hoped as much. The service tool just entered the US so cannot wait. I doubt it but is anyone but PV making gaskets for this group?

Old Bridge

#7: Post by Old Bridge »

peacecup wrote:There are three seals on the piston (see the image on the website link below). I guess the middle piston seal is damaged and water is sitting between the seals. When you pull the lever that water bypasses the bottom seal.

I won't hurt in the short term to use it, but you should change the seals. It is a lot easier to change seals with a piston tool, that you can buy of print with a 3-D printer. I bought one recently and it makes it super easy. You can order parts and see the piston image here:

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/rica ... cchio.html

Good luck,
PC
Hello PC.
Do you know if it is possible to buy just the conical "ring" to get the seals safely and easily into the cylinder?
Or, will I have to buy the whole kit?
LMWDP #408

tcaton

#8: Post by tcaton »

I'm not sure what's in the kit, but I know you don't need the ring. I took the piston out & put back in with nothing but a c clamp. Not a pleasant experience, but IIRC getting the seals into the cylinder was the least of my worries. I believe I used something narrow but blunt (like a butter knife) to tuck the seals in as I guided the piston home.

FJ60Cam

#9: Post by FJ60Cam »

If you are using a clamp or vise, you can tuck the middle seal in with something like a small flathead screwdriver or butter knife. If you are using the service tool, you will need the ring since there will not be any access to the seals.

I don't believe you can buy the ring separate, you'll likely have to have one machined or 3D printed.

Old Bridge

#10: Post by Old Bridge »

Thanks for the answers.
I already have the tool, so all I need is the "ring", "seal guide". Does anybody make these, and will sell me one?
LMWDP #408