Finally Made the Latte I Desired - Just Not on My Espresso Machine - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Beezer

#11: Post by Beezer »

It looks like you're angling the steam wand off to one side of the machine. For some reason, that never works for me. I always pull the steam wand so that it points straight out from the front of the machine, then place the tip on the right side of the pitcher near the wall.

I don't draw in much air at all during the stretching phase; just enough to expand the milk a bit, then lower the tip slightly under the surface so that it doesn't keep pulling in air and allow the vortex to form. The rolling action of the vortex needs to be vigorous enough to incorporate all the air into the milk. If it doesn't, you'll get a "cotton ball" on top of the milk like you're getting in the video.

If I were you, I'd stretch less and focus on really getting the milk to roll a lot. The power looks good, but I think the rolling action isn't getting the milk and air mixed together properly.
Lock and load!

Beezer

#12: Post by Beezer »

Have you looked at this yet? I think the first couple of videos are some of the best I've seen on milk steaming and latte art.

Latte art and steaming techniques videos
Lock and load!

JR_Germantown

#13: Post by JR_Germantown »

Beezer says "cotton ball" I say "blob". ;) But we're in complete agreement.

And shanec, just out of curiosity, and sorry if you already stated this--
Are you running in 15 amp or 20 amp mode?

Jack

shanec (original poster)

#14: Post by shanec (original poster) replying to JR_Germantown »

I am running in 20 amp mode.

I agree that I definitely have a cotton ball blob on top and the top foam is not incorporating into the rest of the milk. That blob makes for a decent-looking top for more of a cappuccino drink, but clearly the steamed milk underneath the foam and crema is not how it should be. It definitely seems the proper vortex is not being formed, so I will keep trying different angles until I get it. Most videos I see online are with GS3's or commercial machines, so I guess I just need more trial and error before I figure out what works best given my V2B, 4-hole tip, and pitcher.

Here is a video that Ben made with the V2B and I assume a 4-hole tip (given the fact that steaming was complete in 15 seconds). While the resulting latte art looked nice, I wouldn't describe the milk frothing pattern as the whirlpool or even vertical roll that most recommend.

MB

#15: Post by MB »

His steam is so strong that the roll is happening around the full perimeter of the pitcher and back down the middle. Some pitchers have a central hump in the bottom that helps with steaming down the middle of the pitcher.
LMWDP #472