User Experience: Flair Espresso Manual Lever - Page 48

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
instantkamera

#471: Post by instantkamera »

boren wrote:Do you guys use variable pressure during extraction to optimize the flow? I read in some reviews that constant pressure is preferred, but if the flow is too fast or too slow it doesn't make sense to not do anything about it (other than improving the grind/tamp for the next shot). Thoughts?
I think it's pretty natural to do that, but I don't expect fantastic results when I do. But yes, you can generally use feel and output/time to get a drinkable shot if you are in the ballpark with your dose and grind.

Tonefish

#472: Post by Tonefish »

instantkamera wrote:hey guys, it's been a busy few days, just getting around to sharing this here:
<image>
Flair sent me a test sample/prototype of their bottomless portafilter!
This is great news!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Advertisement
Christopher396

#473: Post by Christopher396 »

instantkamera wrote:hey guys, it's been a busy few days, just getting around to sharing this here:
<image>
Flair sent me a test sample/prototype of their bottomless portafilter!

Obviously, like many here, I've been a fan since the first pull with mine. I shelved the LPE pretty soon after (subsequently sold it, partly to fund my Sig :lol: ) and I've been pretty active on social with all their stuff (I did a review/test of the SS piston right off the bat when it came out) so their social guy reached out and asked if I'd like to have a go on this.

Keeping in mind it's a prototype, I've had a lot of fun playing with it. Unlike the SS piston, this will probably be a daily driver for me once it's finalized and available. It's been a really good learning tool; my pulls were actually pretty good from the start, but now you can see every single thing - especially when you make a change to your preparation routine, which I have been doing lately.
Oh that looks like something i need!

dparham

#474: Post by dparham »

Im in! lo just placed order.. I have the portapresso PG to compare to it! the only real shortcoming ive experienced with the portapresso is only that it takes time to prepare for the second shot... too hot and pressurized! but this will be nice for a back to back shot

JamieS

#475: Post by JamieS »

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing a Flair: they are giving 20% off this weekend, from Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

theeraser13

#476: Post by theeraser13 replying to JamieS »

Thank you! Hopefully this is going to apply to the Amazon price as well.

dparham

#477: Post by dparham »

well.. DOH! lol i guess its really just tax and a 5 spot so no biggy lol i received mine today! and I have to say its really easy to use and so scalar! if you need more back to back shots just order more chambers! it was a breeze , even cleanup isnt bad at all.. since i was already coffeed up from this am , i only made one to dial in grinder... 15gr and a little tight, made grinder adjustment and will make another tomorrow but i took a really small container ( a half Pyrex beaker to pre warm the chamber... threw it all in there and poured my hot water over it... super simple especially if your by a sink... that was smooth and tasty Guatemala (FC) SO.. nice n sweet. and had nice crema.. .. easier to use than my portapresso which ive been using everyday instead of starting up the large commercial machine and running it all day when not needed... however its really hard to beat the Portapresso even on boiler machines... its so capable but also so much more money...this Flair is REALLY promising to me too! going to use it for a daily shot or 2 for awhile...

Advertisement
BlueBuddha

#478: Post by BlueBuddha »

I ordered a signature model bundle during the Black Friday deal. The shipment is delayed, but can't wait to try it. I've had problems with my ROK lately as the cylinder has many small cracks in it after only 3 months use (1 espresso per day or less) :cry:

rr_coffee

#479: Post by rr_coffee »

Has anyone had much wobble in the handle on their flair? I have had it around 2 months now - 3-4 shots a week being pulled from it. (Tried searching before posting this and didn't see anything sorry for duplicate on my first post)

instantkamera

#480: Post by instantkamera replying to rr_coffee »

define "wobble" - like side-to-side play? I know my pavoni lever did that a tonne, just something I had to get used to. With both my Flairs I have seen nothing noticeable, and certainly no change in that regard over months.

I'd bring that to Flair's attention ASAP, and see what they have to say. Perhaps the press-in pin has worked it's way out?