Baratza Sette 270W grind mechanism flex? Beans stuck inside housing.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
McPickle

#1: Post by McPickle »

Hi guys, I'm not getting any response from Baratza and I don't have another model to test this on. The uneven gap at the top ( hard to explain, you can see in video) is big enough for beans to fall inside the machine. So the first time I used the grinder there is already at least one coffee bean stuck inside the machine rattling around. Is this the same with your machine or did I get a poor quality unit? I have a Sette 270W from prima-coffee.com, it did not come with tools or shims.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

The grinding mechanism is the big black thing you can see moving when looking from the top. The movement shown in your video will not effect the quality of the grind. Other than that, I've no clue why that would be happening.

Ira

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

This is happening when you have the hopper on, right, not just when it's off?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

McPickle (original poster)

#4: Post by McPickle (original poster) replying to yakster »

Correct, it was when I took the hopper off that I saw a bean fall inside.
I heard back from support that this is normal as the assembly floats. I'm cool with that I suppose but the fact that beans can fall inside is annoying. Curious to find out how hard it is to get them out.
I'm waiting for instructions from Baratza on how to reduce the gap a bit and how to open up the machine to remove any beans inside.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Would the bean have fallen inside if you closed the gate on the hopper and ground out the beans above the burrs before removing the hopper?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#6: Post by McPickle (original poster) replying to yakster »

Yes, I guess it got wedged in the crack. When I lifted the hopper it fell inside.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Thanks for the clarification, Marty! Something for others to watch out for.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#8: Post by McPickle (original poster) »

Baratza created and sent a guide for opening up the unit to remove the beans. Looks really easy.

itivino

#9: Post by itivino »

Mine had the same floating behavior (it did end up dying, probably to an unrelated issue though) - be careful also when removing the hopper, as beans can fall in holes that the hopper locks into as well.

stscswimguy

#10: Post by stscswimguy »

McPickle wrote:Baratza created and sent a guide for opening up the unit to remove the beans. Looks really easy.
Could you post that guide here?