Dishwasher type braided steel hose - potable?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DavidO

#1: Post by DavidO »

I was thinking of using braided steel hoses for my water intake line. I was thinking this because the machine already uses this type, and my filter/softener comes with the same kind (because of a European connection). That means that there is only a roughly 16' span left and I was initially planning to use the regular 3/8" plastic tubing, with plastic adapters connected to brass connections.

However, when looking for extra long braided steel lines in 3/8" size, they are always labelled for dishwasher use. I've seen braided steel in 20 feet for an ice line, but this was 1/4". Is there anything different about these "dishwasher" type hoses than the other steel braided hoses I have (e.g. One included with machine and those included with filters).

Are they safe to drink from and thus, use for this purpose? They are labeled "toxic free" and meet lead requirements for my country/province, but does that mean it's safe to use for something you drink from?

TxHr

#2: Post by TxHr »

The dishwasher hose can be used for portable water. You just need to make sure each end matches up with the size of the male end of the connection. You can also use ice maker hoses and purchase the correct adaptor for your application. In plumbing, you will find numerous approaches to the same end-result.

Brandon