Mod Idea: Reducing retention on Mazzer Super Jolly - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Gman

#11: Post by Gman »

I've been working on a mod for the reduction of grounds collecting under the lower burr carrier. Initially, I tried cutting out some circular pieces from a plastic milk container. I sized them to the full size of the burr carrier and used two for thickness. It didn't work too well and was noisy. Then I found some velcro strips, fuzzy side, and cut them to fit on the three raised arms/supports(?) and it works out really well. Very quiet and a good 80% or more in ground reduction. I pulled the bottom carrier recently and found it to have very little residue to worry about.

rockethead26

#12: Post by rockethead26 »

Great idea wsfarrell!

Advertisement
bettysnephew

#13: Post by bettysnephew »

Gman wrote:I've been working on a mod for the reduction of grounds collecting under the lower burr carrier. Initially, I tried cutting out some circular pieces from a plastic milk container. I sized them to the full size of the burr carrier and used two for thickness. It didn't work too well and was noisy. Then I found some velcro strips, fuzzy side, and cut them to fit on the three raised arms/supports(?) and it works out really well. Very quiet and a good 80% or more in ground reduction. I pulled the bottom carrier recently and found it to have very little residue to worry about.
Picture or drawing please. Thanks.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

roadman
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by roadman »

The bopper's been on the Super Jolly for a couple of weeks now and does a great job clearing the chute. My chute brushing days are finally over!

A few beans are still getting stuck on the ledge above the burrs. These stuck beans have be brushed off the ledge to make it onto the burrs.

I don't yet have a silicone gasket in place. When you have the silicone gasket in place does it create enough force to knock the beans off the ledge?

Bill, thanks again for sharing with this mod.

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

This works for my Fiorenzato Doge Conico too. I just ordered a second "bopper" for my Super Jolly in the office. It makes my commercial grinders low retention.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

walt_in_hawaii

#16: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

roadman wrote:Gonna try your big bopper idea. Ordered this yesterday from Bed Bath & Beyond. Hopefully it'll fit.
Thanks for the suggestion.
That's the same one I ordered. It works frighteningly well, it actually throws the grounds into the cup, then out of the cup, then onto the ground... I have to 'bop' sloooowly to keep the grounds confined to the cup... when most of the grounds are out, and you have just a little powder left in the chute, that's the only time you can 'bop' aggressively, its that good. Thanks bill! brilliant idea... the only thing I did different was, I tried your silicon matt cut to make a 'washer' to help plug the popper into the SJ, but it kept spewing a little bit of grounds out the top. So I eventually made a metal base for it that is O ringed into the SJ's mouth and provides a pressure proof seal so absolutely no grounds can escape and keeps the top much cleaner.

walt_in_hawaii

#17: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Gman wrote:I've been working on a mod for the reduction of grounds collecting under the lower burr carrier. Initially, I tried cutting out some circular pieces from a plastic milk container. I sized them to the full size of the burr carrier and used two for thickness. It didn't work too well and was noisy. Then I found some velcro strips, fuzzy side, and cut them to fit on the three raised arms/supports(?) and it works out really well. Very quiet and a good 80% or more in ground reduction. I pulled the bottom carrier recently and found it to have very little residue to worry about.
gerald, sounds like what I did with my K10 sweepers.. but mine were inside the grind chamber. I thought about doing this with the SJ as well, just like what you describe, but I instead decided I will tilt my SJ over so that the grounds fall out the chute instead of accumulating under the lower carrier. Not yet done, everything's on my workbench, toooo many projects to finish! its like slightly out of control chaos in slow motion here...

aloha,
walt