Shots blonding early, but no channeling. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
wreckfish

#11: Post by wreckfish »

If you are having similar challenges across a variety of beans, sounds like it could be a grinder issue as you suggest.

FWIW, I've been trying to dial in Big Trouble for a few days now, particularly trying to remove the hint of bitterness that I've been getting. This is what I've landed on and am pretty happy with it:

14.3 g in
21.6 g out
198 degrees F
15 second preinfusion
25-30 second pour after preinfusion

Bitterness is gone. I tried 1:1 but it was a little flat tasting, increasing the ratio brought a little more balance. This is a very fine grind (I had to tighten it up significantly after switching from Cafe Lusso's Gran Miscela) in a stock Breville double basket, BDB 920 with Ceado E37s grinder.

Hope that helps. Have a great holiday.

mrjag

#12: Post by mrjag »

A little off topic but it caught my eye that you are using 14g in the bdb stock basket. How are you preventing breville's soggy puck syndrome at that dosage? Anything less than 18g has required a trip to the sink after each shot to wash out the sloshy grounds.

wreckfish

#13: Post by wreckfish »

I haven't solved that problem! Although -- with these beans, the grind, and the dose -- I don't get a soupy mess on top. I let it sit for a few minutes before cleaning out. The puck is very moist and the basket usually requires a good wipe to get all the grounds out.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#14: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

I'm using an HQ-14 basket right now, with better results. I've ordered an 18 gram ridgeless VST from Chris Coffee.. they have a 15% off sale until the 30th. I'm going to be getting another grinder in here shortly..

chrisbodnarphoto

#15: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to LukeFlynn »

I'd be pretty surprised to hear it's a grinder issue unless there's a problem with your Major. It's an extremely reliable and consistent grinder in my experience with it. Not ruling it out, of course, but I'd be surprised none the less. :)

#16: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

I'm thinking there is an alignment issue with it honestly. I've always felt that the shots from it weren't as good as my SJ, but I don't have another grinder to compare for sure.

I'm getting a Sette shortly, I know it's conical vs flat.. but I feel like I need some sort of alternative grinder to compare.

chrisbodnarphoto

#17: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to LukeFlynn »

I look forward to the comparison!

Maybe OT but have you looked into trying to align the Major? Would be curious if we could figure out a good way to do so.

#18: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

I got a VST basket in today. 18g ridgeless to be precise.

It is indeed different from my LM precision basket, which is derived from the Strada baskets. There is also a big difference in flavor between both the LMP and the HQ basket. I notice quite a bit more texture and sweetness.. the pucks also look better, but I know there isn't a whole lot of value in puckology.