Ecuador Taza Dorada Robusta - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

RobertL wrote:Has anyone tried this specialty robusta from Paradise Roasters? Cupping notes state "Grape and kiwi candy, caramel, jasmine, and banana; a very creamy, chardonnay-like mouthfeel". Definitely not your typical robusta. I'm curious if it has the same caffeine levels as regular robusta.

https://paradiseroasters.com/collection ... ty-robusta
I have 2# green left. I only have 2 shots a morning and 1 in the afternoon (14-16 grams ground coffee), to avoid the effects I don't enjoy of too much caffeine. When the robusta is on the table, I make sure those shots are 14 grams or use a little less, because I did feel a bit more caffeine punch from it than the usual arabica. I think it has the same caffeine as your typical robusta.
LMWDP #198

mdmvrockford

#12: Post by mdmvrockford »

Flint, would you please give your taste description of this particular 100% robusta? So far of all posts in this thread there are just two that give taste descriptions: Ed's (post #5) and mine. But mine can't be relied on since my beans (until proven otherwise) were stale.
LMWDP #568

Chert

#13: Post by Chert replying to mdmvrockford »

There's the artisan graph. 2:30 second after start of first crack. Full city according to arabica roasters curve behavior, but I don't think I detected the sound of second crack. Also for the 12 days or so it took for me to go through the 200g beans I kept for myself the beans did not gain an oily sheen. The most memorable shot had an upfront dry taste, a pleasant bracing bitterness not acidic like arabica, but dry. Of that shot I remember liking the mouthfeel and otherwise I recall some sweetness of a caramel type and of the tastes described on their website i remember thinking "maybe banana?". Definitely a nice change of pace and I could enjoy it as a single origin shot. I look forward to roasting and pulling some more come March sometime.
LMWDP #198