Potential Limits to E61 - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
canuckcoffeeguy

#31: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

joalepins wrote:I think I'm on to something with the cooling flush ... I tried a longer cooling this morning, flushed until 185F on the thermometer and let it bounce back to 196-197 before pulling the shot and I could definetly see the difference in taste. More flavors for sure but brings out the fruity/floral.

Before this morning, I have been flushing a couple of seconds past the end of the boiling sound. Reading on the thermometer when pulling the shot was between 203-205.

The ''new'' flush technique is almost double the time and water.

To answer your questions :

-Beans are always fresh, 2 weeks from roast at max.
-Already did try something different like distilled and tap.
-Always purging stale grinds
-Busy at work but will try to post a video when possible
Amazing how much temperature can affect the cup, eh? Looks like you're on the right track. Btw, Erics is an amazing resource. Pick his brain for info and call him if you haven't already. He invented that thermometer for a reason and knows how a machines works. He can really help you. Good luck!

h3yn0w

#32: Post by h3yn0w »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Our experience has been that we usually pull better shots at home, if we like the beans, than those had at any of the Montreal cafés mentioned. That includes shots pulled on Stradas, Spirits and Synessos. It's curious that the best shots we've had at high-end Montreal cafés all have E61 heads. This might be personal preference, bias or coincidence.

We've had our city water tested and it seems to be OK. We don't use any filtering just straight tap water (that also tastes great straight from a refrigerated pitcher). If this kills the machine, then GREAT - I can't WAIT to have the excuse to buy a Speedster!

A relative also has an E61 machine and always uses distilled water. We don't like the taste of the shots with his machine even if I pull them. I'm sure there are many other variables involve.

What kind of shower screen are you using? We're using an IMS. I find that there is a difference when this filter is clean. We clean the shower screen and gasket just about daily, even if only 1 or 2 shots are pulled. Back flushing is only done periodically before the first shot of the day when the group is already at it's cleanest. Perhaps these small procedures might help even if just incrementally.

Nice to see other Montrealers posting here.

If nothing else helps, try drinking instant coffee for a few weeks...

Straight up distilled water will be bad.

I started cutting my tap water with 40% distilled. Tastes fairly similar and better for my machine.

But water can make a difference in taste so that may be one of the variables at play with the ops situation. I doubt it has anything to do with his group head design.