Thoughts on the future of HB - Page 5

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
badperson

#41: Post by badperson »

Just happened onto this thread, and while I have fewer posts and much less experience/skill in terms of coffee, wanted to throw in a possible suggestion. Have you ever considered changing the platform of the forum from the php/bb to something like https://www.discourse.org/about/?

That has a lot of built in self moderating features, such as users gaining privileges as they post more. Maybe also add on a stack exchange type clone that would be good for questions that have a best answer, and are not open ended discussion topics?

This is just my 2cent input, I realize the migration would be a lot of work. HB is a great resource. I've been gently chided to search more carefully a couple of times :mrgreen: , but otherwise have found everyone to be very helpful.

HB
Admin

#42: Post by HB »

Discourse looks interesting and it does have some features that phpBB does not. Judging by the install requirements, it would be a significant effort. I'm open to the idea of other base software, but there'd need to be a long list of compelling reasons. One idea I've kicked around before is a curated wiki (see Interested in being an HB wiki editor? for details). Making that work requires a lot of community effort and there was minimal interest last time. If I retire, win the lottery, or acquire a wealthy benefactor, I would like to try it.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
SlowRain

#43: Post by SlowRain »

A discussion forum here for expats recently switched to Discourse, and it couldn't have gone worse. It's possible that had to do with the way the transition was handled, and maybe the Discourse features aren't set up properly on the new site--but it is horribly disorganized and not exactly intuitive to navigate. Lots of features--maybe. Easier to use--definitely not. I believe the number of posts and daily visitors have dropped noticeably after the switch. My guess is Facebook couldn't be happier with that particular transition.

Randy G.

#44: Post by Randy G. »

Marshall wrote:Ever since alt.coffee was destroyed by trolls (and yes, I know usenet was on its way out eventually), I value the steadying hand of moderators, despite having been cautioned a few times myself.
+1 ^ That
An unmoderated forum? No thank you. There's enough anarchy in the world. I really do not want to go through that again.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JR_Germantown

#45: Post by JR_Germantown »

I'd love to see a forum that uses tags rather than categories. Tags are more flexible because they don't require you to choose just one. Couple that with the ability to create and bookmark custom filters, and then users can organize their own view of content.

Jack

canuckcoffeeguy

#46: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I still think HB 'ain't broke.' So there's no compelling reason to fix it.

danaleighton

#47: Post by danaleighton »

ira wrote:In my opinion, if something isn't done to help the increasing noise level HB will become another CG.
Ouch! :D

Sorry I'm late to the party. I am primarily over on CG where I moderate. Maybe you're right, Ira. There may be a place for forums of just the illuminati to debate about micro-measurement of theoretical variables and carefully constructed scientific method experiments (this is a criticism I have heard from some CG members about HB). But I hope not. I value H-B for these qualities, and often it's my go-to in searching for esoteric topics in espresso preparation, but I hope we can still welcome people who are trying to find their footing.

FYI, here's an example of that. I saw a member's first post, an owner of a Macap grinder asking about retention. I think the member was asking a simple question about single-dosing vs. hoppers, but the discussion moved to advanced members debating about grind retention at a very esoteric level. Their points were likely accurate, but would be very off-putting to a first-time poster asking a simple question (notice that poster never responded nor posted anything else).

So maybe that example actually illustrates why we might want a forum where first-time posters can post, and not be weighed down by advanced members debating esoterica! (kidding!!)

Some of the "noise" is generated by people who are wanting to be helped in moving toward "exceptional espresso" or "coffee." How do we grow the hobby if we create a hierarchical system that relegates new posters to a specific area until they are enlightened enough (how would we measure that)? If they really do not want to be moved toward exceptionality, then they will likely fade away. More importantly, how do we grow traffic for Dan so the site can be sustainable? :D
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#48: Post by another_jim »

After reading through this thread; I have a question for those who favor a newbie reservation: what kind of posts do you find most objectionable, most "oh crap, it's all noise?"

Quite honestly, I get far more discouraged by much of the science-illiterate, meaningless technobabble from people with hundreds of posts.
Jim Schulman

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#49: Post by ira (original poster) »

Personally, since I'm the one who started this and in the process discovered the Unread Posts link, I'm become more of the opinion that it's just fine the way it is. It's things like the today's post from the guy who found a Cremina at a garage sale, found HB and is saying thank you for helping him get to the point he's drinking the best espresso he's ever had that make it clear we're doing something right.

Just Want To Say Thank You!

When I had to wade through every topic every day, all the "what's the best BB&B grinder for less than $99" sort of questions were getting annoying as they meant I had to check that topic to discover another senseless message. My judgement of course. And that's a topic that's never been used, thankfully.

About the only change I still think would be really nice is the addition of a top level "Unread Posts" button. It's the thing I use the most and it's hiding in a menu.

I do appreciate all the thoughtful responses in this thread and I'm glad Dan asked me to start it.

I would personally be completely afraid of anything that gave more power to the users. I've never seen a user moderated anything that didn't end up devolving into chaos. All the most informative and friendly online groups I've seen are either very small, less than 100 members or tightly controlled by a small minority. The tightly controlled version doesn't always work as it gives a small number a lot of power, sometimes abused, but in the case of Dan and his very carefully selected group of moderators, it's hard to image a that different set of moderators or a different style of moderating would be an improvement.

Ira

sweaner

#50: Post by sweaner »

Ira, I have been using the "unread posts" for years. I find it excellent, as when you click on a topic that has new posts, it takes you right to the posts you haven't read yet. Very simple.

HB continues to be the best forum that I frequent. I wouldn't change a thing!
Scott
LMWDP #248