Need replacement grinder that will last

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
weavdaddy

#1: Post by weavdaddy »

Re: OXO On Conical Burr Grinder w Scale

Does anyone have experience with this grinder? My grinder died yesterday and I need a strong replacement. My exception is that I grind a pound at a time about once a week. I don't really want to shell out $900 for a GMCW 890 but I need something that will last (used options are few and far between in my area). Help please!

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

There's a Bunn grinder nearish to you on Craigslist for $300 or a Grindmaster for $375. I'd bet both sellers would go cheaper too. If you're looking for something that will last forever and not be $900.

weavdaddy (original poster)

#3: Post by weavdaddy (original poster) »

Hi Mitch, thanks for the help. My understanding of both those models is their burr set leaves a lot to be desired. Also I'm a bit leary of buying used equipment of this nature from CL - if there's a major mechanical problem I'm not the handiest guy.

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

Not true. I have a GM890 and GM825, both purchased used. I would defy all but the most educated palate to tell the difference. And even at that, some might prefer the 825 on some coffees and roast levels.

I guess your options are spend $900 for new, or spend $300 on used. You're not going to find a brand new bulk grinder, with world class burrs for $300.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

Having cleaned up two Bunn bulk grinders, it's hard to imagine that anything other than being dropped off the back of a truck on the freeway or a fall from a second story window could hurt them. It's expensive, $300-500 to replace burrs in a Bunn depending on the path you choose, but once you do, it will likely outlast your great grand children or maybe their great grand children.

Ira