Should I part with my La Cimbali Junior?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
foamy

#1: Post by foamy »

Hello all!

I am new posting to this forum, though I have browsed the archives many times...

My father passed away about 5 years ago and left me a LaCimbali Jr R. It's probably 30ish years old, and has had regular use.

I had it serviced and it works perfectly. Only thing not working is the water sensor light.

So here's my question...
I greatly enjoy my morning cappuccinos (as does my girlfriend). I also enjoy making caps and lattes for visiting friends. However, the LaCimbali is quite large and takes up a lot of counter space in my small kitchen. I'm considering selling this one and replacing it with something smaller... but...
1. How much could I get for this machine?
2. Is there a smaller machine that I could replace this with that would produce similar quality coffee?
3. The La Cimbali will require maintenance every few years (for a couple hundred dollars, at a service center - or much less if done myself), but will otherwise last forever (it's a tank!). Will a smaller/cheaper machine die on me much sooner and not be worth it?

There is a bit of sentimentality about selling this old machine too -- but if there are good alternatives, I think I can get over that :)

Thanks for your help!

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Only you can answer the question with regards to the sentimental or emotional attachment. What machines are you considering ?

As far as value for the machine. I don't see much demand for older pump machines of that era on Kijiji or the Bayz. You may find someone who is attached to that particular model and give you some decent coin but I would think the buyers would be few.
You can always test the sale with a post here, Kijiji or CL with your desired sell price. That would give some feedback as to market value.
Best of luck either way.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

foamy (original poster)

#3: Post by foamy (original poster) »

redbone wrote:What machines are you considering ?
I'm really a newbie to looking... What would you recommend? While I love good cappuccino, I'm probably not as discerning as many on here. That said, I'd notice if the quality dropped significantly... What I'm really wondering is if I can get similar quality in a smaller package for a similar price to what this one could sell for (which it seems like is a complicated question!) Perhaps though you can help me out with one side of that though: what would be the price range of a good smaller machine? Waiting between shots isn't really an issue for me since I make two in a row quite rarely.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Might as well chime in here before others do. What grinder are you using ? Ever consider a grinder upgrade first.

I'm biased with regards to machines since I'm a lever head and have only owned lever machines for the past 6 years.
Levers typically have smaller footprints than pump machines. Open boiler (VAM\Ararex) no steam (La Pavoni or Elektra micro casa) closed boiler if steam is required.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jfrescki

#5: Post by jfrescki »

I think it would be difficult, given the age of the machine, to sell it and use that money to buy a new machine that would give you the same shot quality, reliability and ease of use. Let's say you could get $1,000 for it (shot in the dark I have no idea, maybe less), that leaves you with:

1) Refurbish a Cremina lever (reliability, size and shot quality)
2) Breville DB (shot quality and ease of use)
3) A number of entry HX machines (shot quality & reliability, possibly size)

None of them check all your boxes except maybe a refurbished Cremina if you're willing to look for one and use a manual lever.

I'm not an espresso expert, but play one on TV. YMMV.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

Alan Frew

#6: Post by Alan Frew »

To the best of my knowledge there isn't really a smaller machine that will match the Junior for shot quality, reliability and longevity. They really don't build 'em like that anymore.

Alan