Ponte Vecchio Lusso, case removal

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ivor

#1: Post by Ivor »

Hi All, I can't figure out how to remove the side water and steam knobs. Anybody in the know?

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

Mine have screws in the center. Unscrew these, then pull them off. If they stick you may need to GENTLY pry them off with a screwdriver blade.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Ivor (original poster)

#3: Post by Ivor (original poster) »

mines are pentagram design with no visible screws anywhere. At first I assumed they slide on and off, but any attempt to pry them off risk to deform the metal box, it's so hard.

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

Better write to LaMacchinaCaffe - they are good customer service and will know how to do it:

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/rica ... cchio.html

It looks in the picture on that page that there may be a small cap covering the screw head in the new ones?
LMWDP #049

Ivor (original poster)

#5: Post by Ivor (original poster) »

Yes, looks the center of the knob is a cap cover. On mine they fit so snugly I can't get them off.

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

could drill a small hole in them and insert a small screw. They are not really needed anyway.
LMWDP #049

Ivor (original poster)

#7: Post by Ivor (original poster) »

The machine is brand new under warranty, and I am afraid to go the brutal way

Ivor (original poster)

#8: Post by Ivor (original poster) »

In the end drilled a hole and pulled out the caps. Thanks for advice.

Ivor (original poster)

#9: Post by Ivor (original poster) »

Because of the myths concerning Ponte Vecchio quality control (or the lack of) I feel obliged to mention that my Lusso arrived excellently packaged, and in full working order. Inside, apart from the small chaos of cables, the welds are exemplary, and I hope the machine to last. The cosmetic quality on the outside is very good, but, of course, it won't match the cosmetics of machines costing 300% more or produced in industrial way. Mine was made in effect to order (two weeks waiting time) in what I consider an artisan workshop.
The machine was supplied by LaMacchinaCaffe.com to whom I like to publicly thank for the smooth transaction.

P.S. Amusingly the Ponte Vecchio supplied plastic tamper match better the baskets, compared to Motta which I plan to return. The machine also came with not two, but three baskets, the third being single and shallow for, I guess, espresso leggero.

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

My Sama Lusso, of basically the same design and quality, is probably more than 30 years old. I just empty it every morning, fill it, and pull shots all day. Once every 2-3 years I might need to change the piston seals or the steam wand washers (to prevent drips).

What amazes me most is that I love the espresso as much or more today than I did 10 years ago when I first got my Export. Tonight's after-dinner espresso was sublime. I suppose I could find a machine that makes better espresso, but it wouldn't be easy. My results the past 10 years have been so good that I have very little incentive to try other machines.
LMWDP #049