Diagnosing extraction problem - first sip is always bitter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sprin001

#1: Post by sprin001 »

Hi all,
I have been doing espresso for about a year now. I prefer capp's and typically make 2-3 daily. I have become much more consistent using a ceado e5p and gaggia classic (works for now) to where the cappuccino has great flavor but the first sip is almost always very bitter and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of this. I use a local topeca roaster blend. I dose about 16-16.5 grams in every shot and total extraction is about 30 grams. I range from 25-30 seconds for the time. Any tips or ideas to get rid of what appears to be a top bitter tasting crema while keeping the good flavor of the espresso? TIA! -Jerrod

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

Crema is pretty bitter. I would recommend stirring or swirling the espresso around before drinking. If this doesn't help a few things to check are: is the espresso simply not right for your tastes, are you brewing too hot, or are you over extracting?
LMWDP #534

Renegade

#3: Post by Renegade »

Hi,

I don't know your routine, but maybe pulling the coffee first and steam after may help. When everything is done, crema would be a bit thiner. Then you should stir your espresso the break the ''layers'', including what's left of crema before pouring milk. And why not removing all the crema if you want... And while pouring milk, pay attention to the milk integration and try to mix things up once again.

Regarding your extraction, maybe you can aim a brew ration of 1:3 or something. My GF perfect cappa is made of 18g in/45/50g out...

h3yn0w

#4: Post by h3yn0w »

As has been stated already, crema is bitter. Swirl the espresso around first to dissipate the crema somewhat before your pour your milk should help.

sprin001 (original poster)

#5: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Hudson wrote:Crema is pretty bitter. I would recommend stirring or swirling the espresso around before drinking. If this doesn't help a few things to check are: is the espresso simply not right for your tastes, are you brewing too hot, or are you over extracting?
Copy that, I'll give it a go in the morning. I have been changing beans about every other week lately but I have a pretty typical rotation. It is noteworthy that after I get the first bitter crema out of the way, the actual body of the shot (in capp) taste very good and even the last sip is full and sweet.

sprin001 (original poster)

#6: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Renegade wrote:Hi,

I don't know your routine, but maybe pulling the coffee first and steam after may help. When everything is done, crema would be a bit thiner. Then you should stir your espresso the break the ''layers'', including what's left of crema before pouring milk. And why not removing all the crema if you want... And while pouring milk, pay attention to the milk integration and try to mix things up once again.

Regarding your extraction, maybe you can aim a brew ration of 1:3 or something. My GF perfect cappa is made of 18g in/45/50g out...
Interesting, thanks for the advice. I have tried longer pulls or higher extractions and I don't seem to like the flavor much. From the beans I've used, I typically prefer a 1:1 to 1:2 - but I'm always open to trying new things.