Portafilter and tamper recommendations for La Marzocco GS3, Mahlkonig Peak combo

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bebopr

#1: Post by Bebopr »

I pulled the trigger on a Peak grinder and now figuring out the espresso machine (since I've seen tons of advice saying "Grinder First") so...

I'm in the process of getting a GS/3 but would like to get dialed in with some great portafilters and a tamper since I'm not sure of the ones that come with it standard when purchasing. Should I get a bottomless to learn about technique? Larger doser baskets? Flat tamper? I've been lurking on the forums for weeks and read tons of info and I remember people talking about these but it's so buried in other threads that it's hard to suss out the relevant info unless I'm really missing a pinned post.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The GS/3 came with a really nice tamper; there's no need to replace it unless you don't like the feel. It also comes with several top-quality baskets, so again, no need to replace them unless you prefer extreme updosing or Faema-style baskets.

As for a bottomless portafilter, that's a good item to have. You could trade one of your really expensive solid stain steel single pour portafilter for an OEM bottomless. Or, if you just can't make up your mind, try the Cafelat bottomless that can convert from bottomless to spouted.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Bebopr (original poster)

#3: Post by Bebopr (original poster) »

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

sluflyer06

#4: Post by sluflyer06 »

I would grab the OEM bottomless from LM. Then for tampers. Highly reccomended to look at Saint Anthony Industry Levy, pergtamp, mahlgut, and 5 star, all these are made for the vst/LM baskets and do make a noticeable difference over ones that don't fit as tight IMO. I have a 58.4 reg barber, my perg is non arguably better at even extractions much more often .

Bebopr (original poster)

#5: Post by Bebopr (original poster) »

Nice! I take a look into those. :) Thanks, sluflyer06!