Breville Barista Express Discussion...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Luposian

#1: Post by Luposian »

I'd like input on various questions, concerning this machine. I own one, hence why.

1) Pressure: What is the "ideal pressure" for a shot? There is an "espresso range", but that, obviously, covers a large variance in pressure and no specific numbers to go by. I've always assumed the middle mark/line was the "sweet spot", but is there any consensus on this?

2) Water: I'm using distilled, to reduce/eliminate scale buildup. I have no problem with the taste of my shots. Anyone else have input on this?

3) Noises: when I hit the shot button, my unit makes this grating, struggling sound, for just a moment, and then proceeds normally. It never used to do this. Now it does it almost every shot.

4) Coffee bean quality: I've gotten the absolute best shot from a freshly roasted bag of beans from a local roaster. But, as I don't drink coffee, except a couple times a week, even the smallest bag they sell goes "bad" before we've finished it. The result of that is (worst case), using the absolute finest grind and the hardest tamp I can muster, the pressure barely makes it into the "espresso range"!

a) Has anyone gotten good results from store-bought beans (brand?) and how long did they last (til they're producing dud shots, like above)?
b) Any recommendations how to store beans? I've seen people use those plastic/glass/metal clamp-top canisters to store beans in. How long can beans stay in those before "going south for the winter and never coming back"? Would adding an oxygen absorbing pouch help?

Looking forward to the discussion...

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

1. what taste's good

2. Not a fan of distilled water for espresso - I cant think of anyone that brews with it off hand . Might be worth trying volvic for example to see if you prefer the taste .

3. do you clean and backflush ?

4. How long are you keeping beans . You could try freezing portions or doses and using them when you need them. Other than that , air tight , dark , cool but not cold place

mrjag

#3: Post by mrjag »

2. There's a lot of material on this site and elsewhere about what kind of water to use, but this post has a pretty good summary (Bottled water for espresso machine?). Breville recommends (at least for my 900/920) to not use distilled water, so maybe check your manual to see if you have the same warning.

3. A failing solenoid will cause the breville units to make a loud grinding/buzzing sound. Maybe search youtube and compare the sounds to see if that is what you are experiencing.

4. I buy freshly roasted 1-2lb bags, then divide weekly sized portions into mason jars and freeze. Once a week a jar comes out of the freezer, slowly thaws in the fridge overnight, then comes to room temp on the counter and is dumped into the bean hopper. Supposedly the beans will still age while frozen, just at a much slower rate. I don't know the upper limit on how long you can freeze them, but I've had beans up to 6 months in the freezer so far with no issues.

humblepie9674

#4: Post by humblepie9674 »

I have owned 2 of the 870 model within the last 4 months. The first one was a display model that I got a good deal on at BB and B; the grinder failed on it, and I got a brand new one shipped to my door in a day after the fact.

1. I always aim for the highest end of the "espresso range" marker. This always produces the "mouse tail" streams that I am learning are desirable. I would suspect that as long as it's at the same spot every time you brew, that's more important than where the needle actually is on the dial, since it is susceptible to calibration issues.

2. I use a faucet filter. I hear distilled water is no good, and I like the espresso just fine out of this filter.

3. I had the buzzing issue with the first machine I had, as well, but never was a performance issue. That being said, my new one has performed flawlessly...thus far..

4. Admittedly, I am only about 6 months into what I consider to be a journey to being a true coffee aficionado, and I have been getting most of my info off of this site. Every video or piece of information I have seen stresses the importance of fresh coffee beans. You could not make a great sandwich with old bread, so is the same for great coffee. I always get beans roasted at the local Coffee shop, and there is always a "Roasted On" date on the bag. I shoot for 4 days out, and the coffee is good for about 20 days after. I also use an air pot style canister to store my beans, for what it's worth. I have compared this to store bought coffee, and it's not even close to being comparable. It is definitely worth the investment to buy fresh beans.

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE this machine for the price, but I also appreciate its limitations, mainly with the grinder being so weak. I suggest cleaning the grinder every time you introduce a new bag of beans, and back flush at least twice a week. Just my 2¢...