Blue Bottle's new "Perfectly Ground" coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ziggomatic

#1: Post by ziggomatic »

This looks quite interesting in terms of coffee technology, and apparently it works well. Basically they pre-grind/package/seal up single serving bags all in an oxygen-free environment which keeps the ground coffee tasting fresh for up to 6 months.

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/bl ... und-coffee

It appears to be quite expensive at around $3.50/serving, but i'm extremely interested in trying this out.

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Here's some previous background on this:
Interesting Sprudge article on preground coffee Startup

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

I was given a couple of packets by Perfect Coffee from reputable roasters a couple of years ago. They were surprisingly good. But, in view of their cost and packaging waste, I could only recommend them for travel.
Marshall
Los Angeles

ilker

#4: Post by ilker »

I also saw the same pre=ground small packs in Maruyama cafe, Tokyo.
Surprisingly good and very easy to make french press at work.

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

Weird that they have a pre-ground coffee called "Three Africas" and a whole bean coffee called "Three Africans".

Nate42

#6: Post by Nate42 »

Was surprised today to receive a free sample of this in the mail. I guess they must be sending samples to some/all of their subscription customers. I'm skeptical but will report back when I get around to trying it (probably this weekend).

RobertL

#7: Post by RobertL »

What's the difference in this product versus doing this yourself with your home grinder, small vacuum bags and a vac sealer?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

I was also got a chance to try Perfect Coffee two years ago, impressive but wasteful. I even tried their packets after a year and was amazed that it was still good, not great like when it was fresh, but good.

I'd say the difference between doing this at home is the oxygen free grinding with a high quality grind, packing, and the really thick, impervious packaging.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

RobertL wrote:What's the difference in this product versus doing this yourself with your home grinder, small vacuum bags and a vac sealer?
Not buying a grinder.
Not dialing in the grind, if you have a grinder.
Taking it to the office or on trips for fresh brewing.
Having several different kinds of coffee in the same day.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

So, I'm drinking my sample right now. Its the "Bella Donovan" blend, which I have not had before unfortunately so can't directly compare. If they really want to win over people like me on their single origin subscription plan they should send a packet of the very same coffee for a direct comparison.

The grind looks good, which no surprise there I'm sure they are using a high end bulk grinder of some sort. Roast appeared to be darker than I usually prefer. It didn't bloom quite as much as I'm used to with fresh ground coffee but otherwise brewed normally. I did a pourover using my chemex with paper filter. Decided against the Able Kone since it prefers a finer grind than this looks like.

The resulting cup is choclatey, earthy, and sweet. Minimal acidity. A bit more roasty than I prefer. Probably would be great with cream, if you are into that sort of thing. I may well buy a bag of the whole bean version for my wife to try, I think she'll enjoy it more than me.

I doubt I could have guessed this was preground if I didn't know. It doesn't wow me but I think that's more personal preference than quality, there is nothing "wrong" with it. Be interested to try something brighter and fruitier which is more my speed. I would certainly consider it for travel or camping. The convenience of open packet and brew, no grinding or weighing, is undeniable.