Baratza Sette 270 Single Dose Considerations

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NBA

#1: Post by NBA »

* Do you have to have the hopper in place for it to run?

*If so, what ideas for a custom small single dose/smaller profile hopper would you suggest, may be something with a nice wooden cap?

*Is there an issue with a few beans getting trapped between the hopper and burrs?

I have it on pre-order and was wondering about these.

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

You should be able to figure something out. The tabs on the bottom of the hopper flip a switch as you twist it on.

But as fast as this grinds, you really want to make sure your fingers are clear and there's a secure lid.

ebola5114

#3: Post by ebola5114 »

I think it won't be difficult to made a custom hand made single dose hopper with wood or even 3D printed (S/steel is one step further...)
Looking at how many users will have this grinder there will be a lot of mods around there soon !

PD: thanks Almico for the pics!

NBA (original poster)

#4: Post by NBA (original poster) »

Thanks for the pics and ideas. I'll be thinking about this... wood may be the easiest starting out.

Baratza could make extra $ if they were to offer a nice single dose hopper.

PacMan

#5: Post by PacMan »

It would not be too hard to design and 3D print something for the Sette. The one I made for my preciso took a few tries but was pretty straight forward, even with nothing more than a tape measure for measurements. If I end up getting a Sette I will definitely print a mini hopper attachment.

NBA (original poster)

#6: Post by NBA (original poster) »

Hmm, I wonder if buying an extra hopper, cutting short, and making a wooden lid may be the simplest way of doing it. Hopefully, those would be available before too long.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

NBA wrote:* Do you have to have the hopper in place for it to run?

*If so, what ideas for a custom small single dose/smaller profile hopper would you suggest, may be something with a nice wooden cap?
I single dosed with the stock hopper; and it worked extremely well. Any mods would be purely aesthetic. Like all Baratza grinder, there is a tab on the hopper and a microswitch in the unit. You will have to use a wad of paper or a shim to defeat it.
Jim Schulman

canuckcoffeeguy

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I've always single dosed my Vario without issue. I just use the stock hopper. I get the odd popcorning of beans, but not a big issue for me.

The Sette is so blazingly fast it expels grinds like a rocket booster. So perhaps popcorning is negated by the downward sucking motion of the rotating outer burr. But I'm speculating since I haven't used one.

Is a single dosing hopper even necessary with the Sette? I expect no. But others who've used it would know better than I. Jim says it's fine.

NBA (original poster)

#9: Post by NBA (original poster) replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

I think it may not be necessary if no beans get stuck between the hopper and burrs. It's more of an aesthetic minimalistic look pursuit.

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

Partially ground beans will always be lodged in the burrs if not single dosing.