Killing the "you must rest fresh roasted coffee" myth [video] - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bostonbuzz

#11: Post by bostonbuzz »

aecletec wrote:Why is this not in the crazy stuff thread?
I don't think there's enough time or inclination for this forum to address every silly youtube video on coffee. Perhaps we can try and keep the tone and quality of conversation a little higher than this?
+1
LMWDP #353

CorvusDoug

#12: Post by CorvusDoug »

I don't think there's enough time or inclination for this forum to address every silly youtube video on coffee. Perhaps we can try and keep the tone and quality of conversation a little higher than this?
Guys I think Jason is raising a legitimate question about resting coffee. That having been said, of course this guy is ridiculous. To quote the Pot: "People just love to look smart whether it's real or not."

Jason- Roasters rest the coffee for at least a day or two because CO2 gas is still heavily present in fresh roasted coffee. So yes, it will cause extra foaming as you brew (or crema on an espresso shot) but more importantly, that CO2 gas is loaded with carbonic acid which is mostly grassy, ashy, and sour. It's the same thing that makes soda water taste sort of sour when compared to flat water. This extra acidity is not inherent to the coffee itself but just that gas buildup. It puts a veil over the real flavors of the coffee. So, roasters like to wait a couple days before brewing the coffee in pursuit of it's truest, most transparent expression.
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO

poison

#13: Post by poison »

Because it's not necessarily crazy stuff. Some coffees are fine, or great, straight out of the roaster. I'd say the hard and fast 'it must rest' is a myth.

maccompatible

#14: Post by maccompatible replying to poison »

No one's saying coffee can't be fine or great straight out of the roaster. They're saying it's better if you let it rest.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

poison

#15: Post by poison replying to maccompatible »

In general, theres an improvement, sure. But i have customers regularly sigh, and moan 'now I have to wait 3 days, I have a lb of year old coffee I'll use in the meantime'.

Uh, no, go ahead and Brew it up!

Are you serious? Won't that tear the space time continuum and create a black hole of....?

Uh, no. It's coffee. Drink it! See how it changes over the first three days! Toss that stale coffee! Enjoy!

It's not that big a deal.

TomC
Team HB

#16: Post by TomC replying to poison »

This is very true. I often grind coffees right out of the cooling tray and they're at their best. Particularly certain Kenyans are etherial right off the roast, and they change to more cranberry and lose some of the delicate florals.

Even some Yemeni coffees can be spectacular right after roasting. It varies too much to try to lay any concrete rules down. Most of the Yemeni coffees that need many days of rest are also the potent tobacco, leather, smoke and peppery ones. The Marqaha Red Mountains (i've bought every year that Dave's offered it) was also one that was mind blowing on day one. It changed quickly, some notes deepened, some receded, but I'm very glad I captured some of the cup aromas from trying it early.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#17: Post by johnny4lsu »

Spot on. Many people act as though the coffee is undrinkable immediately after the roast. I guess it's just one of the many coffee myths that circulate.

poison

#18: Post by poison »

TomC wrote:This is very true. I often grind coffees right out of the cooling tray and they're at their best. Particularly certain Kenyans are etherial right off the roast, and they change to more cranberry and lose some of the delicate florals.

Even some Yemeni coffees can be spectacular right after roasting. It varies too much to try to lay any concrete rules down. Most of the Yemeni coffees that need many days of rest are also the potent tobacco, leather, smoke and peppery ones. The Marqaha Red Mountains (i've bought every year that Dave's offered it) was also one that was mind blowing on day one. It changed quickly, some notes deepened, some receded, but I'm very glad I captured some of the cup aromas from trying it early.
Funny you mentioned it, but I've had more than one coffee that was outstanding as espresso the day it was roasted, yet was undrinkable a week later. Thinking about it, it gains acidity, for the most part.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by samuellaw178 »

Don't you guys get that 'ubiquitous' fresh flavor note in the shot without proper resting period? It tastes great (high sweetness) but that 'freshy' note masked the origin flavor significantly.

dominico
Team HB

#20: Post by dominico »

Pretty much all freshly roasted coffee tastes like baking soda to me. I guess I'd be jealous of those that don't have that affect. Plenty of bs spouted in that video though, I would not suggest grinding it the night before.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?