Focus on the Roast 2016, Lot 3 Colombia Huila Palestina - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava »

Unrooted wrote:That must be development time you're quoting?
Yes, those are times after first crack is marked.
-----
LMWDP #339

RobertL (original poster)

#12: Post by RobertL (original poster) »

I roasted my first batch of this coffee tonight, below are the roast details and graph. I took this one a little darker trying to get the chocolate and nut bomb that Mill City described in their notes. I should have made my last fan and gas adjustments about a minute earlier and I might have avoided the flick at the end.

Bean: Colombia Huila Palestina
Roaster: Huky 500T
Charge Mass: 350g
Charge Temp: 475F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 4:57/3:20/2:30
FC-start temp: 397F
Finish Temp: 425F (FC-start + 28F)
Overall Roast Time: 10:48
Moisture Loss: *15.7%
*The Huky sucks up beans in the exhaust pipe so my moisture loss isn't really accurate.

Unrooted

#13: Post by Unrooted »

RobertL wrote:I roasted my first batch of this coffee tonight, below are the roast details and graph. I took this one a little darker trying to get the chocolate and nut bomb that Mill City described in their notes. I should have made my last fan and gas adjustments about a minute earlier and I might have avoided the flick at the end.

Bean: Colombia Huila Palestina
Roaster: Huky 500T
Charge Mass: 350g
Charge Temp: 475F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 4:57/3:20/2:30
FC-start temp: 397F
Finish Temp: 425F (FC-start + 28F)
Overall Roast Time: 10:48
Moisture Loss: *15.7%
*The Huky sucks up beans in the exhaust pipe so my moisture loss isn't really accurate.

<image>
Robert: how did this turn out for you? I still haven't had a successful roast with it.

#14: Post by RobertL (original poster) replying to Unrooted »

Drinking it this morning. Didn't get the same notes as Mill City but still a very good Colombian. I'm getting dark chocolate, stone fruit and very slight nut in the finish. I did another roast last night with a longer ramp to first, about a minute longer. I forgot to hit the start button in Artisan so the graph is off by a minute and the percentage in each phase is off. If you add the minute back its pretty close to a 5/4/3 roast.

Unrooted

#15: Post by Unrooted »

Mine keeps tasting like hot apple juice...guess I need to go really dark to get something close to mill city.

#16: Post by RobertL (original poster) replying to Unrooted »

I guess that depends on your definition of really dark. The two graphs I posted above were 10-15°f before second crack. I wouldn't call that really dark. The common trend in coffee is to roast really light, like dropping at the end of first crack or shortly after. I prefer to let the bean develop a little more after first crack but stopping before second crack. There I find a nice balance of flavors that I enjoy.

Unrooted

#17: Post by Unrooted »

I roasted to somewhere before second crack and the flavor seems like it would be good, but it has that roasty flavor I don't enjoy. If I put creamer in it the taste reminds me of pecan coconut frosting that goes on german chocolate cake.

Maybe my roaster isn't capable of going past full city without imparting that roast flavor?

Boldjava

#18: Post by Boldjava »

RobertL wrote:I guess that depends on your definition of really dark....The common trend in coffee is to roast really light, like dropping at the end of first crack or shortly after. I prefer to let the bean develop a little more after first crack but stopping before second crack. There I find a nice balance of flavors that I enjoy.
Amen. I don't care for the light end of the spectrum. No amount of drinking them can convince me that is the way I should enjoy coffee. Never roast into 2nd but surely don't want to "1st crack and drop" roasts.
-----
LMWDP #339