Identifying Mahlkonig K30 Vario or ES

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mikeness

#1: Post by mikeness »

Hi all,

A used Mahlkonig K30 Vario appears to be available locally here and the owner claims that it is the version with the updated chute.

I asked to see he production label (see below) and it's labeled as a K30ES/12 and also says Vario. Would anyone be able to better understand the model based on the label? Ideally I'd love a serial number lookup to clarify things, but I can't imagine there's one out there.

He's had the grinder for 4 years but does not know how long the previous owner had it for. Concerned that this is a K30ES and not Vario.

boost

#2: Post by boost »

Thats the Vario model as it says on the label. It is quite obvious if you have pic of the top lid as well since there is a little thumb screw to lock the grind adjustment.
I think this should have the updated grind chamber as well since the update was on 09 if I recall correctly.

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Totally OT but I find it interesting that it says '6 sec on / 60 sec off'! I would think a commercial-grade grinder would be able to handle a much higher workflow than that? But maybe that's standard?

ntsimmonds

#4: Post by ntsimmonds replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

I just recently got a new K30 Vario and thought this duty cycle was awfully low, but I only have my double set to 3.0s for 18g, +/- .3g, so 35-40g/min seems to be pretty adequate. That's two(ish) shots a minute, and given that you're looking for a ~30s extraction, that's pretty much gonna keep up with any single or duo of baristas (in a commercial setting)