Used Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia Classic or something better

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
simple127

#1: Post by simple127 »

Good day,

I am new to the world of espresso. I live in Canada and have the opportunity to buy a used Rancilio Silvia V4 Pro for $600. I was wondering if I should get it now or save more to buy something better. Or get a new Gaggia Classic for $595+tax. I currently used an aeropress so I am totally a newbie. I just plan to make milk based espresso and I know that I would need to do temp surfing. I just plan to make 1-2 drinks a day. My plan is to get a lido e to match it or should I go with a pharos grinder.

Thank you

JavaBuzz

#2: Post by JavaBuzz »

I'd recommend checking out this recent thread:
First espresso machine/grinder with ~$1000 budget

simple127 (original poster)

#3: Post by simple127 (original poster) »

Thank you for the advice. I'll save some more money.

JavaBuzz

#4: Post by JavaBuzz »

You're welcome! Yes, sadly making good espresso isn't cheap or easy (though better equipment makes it easier).
Tastes awesome when it's made right though.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

$600CA is a great price for a used Silvia V4 - but the key issue is not whether it is a great price - it is whether one would want a SBDU (single boiler dual use) machine, and, if so, is a V4 the machine to get?

Given that you want to make milk-based drinks, an SBDU isn't ideal - but such a machine will work just fine for one or two drinks a day. Everyone has different values, but I wouldn't spend at least twice the money if I knew that I was only going to be making a couple capps or latte's a day. As for the v4, older Silvia's will be less expensive, and the only differences between a v3 and a v4 are the basket (trivial) and a modified boiler assembly to deal with people who don't understand how the machine should be used.

I'd advise having a look through the Newbie introduction to espresso videos to guide you in making an informed decision. They're excellent and helped me a lot.

Oh ... and I disagree that "making good espresso isn't cheap or easy" - but for sure it isn't cheap and easy!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

simple127 (original poster)

#6: Post by simple127 (original poster) »

Thank you, I am currently planning to get a good hand grinder first like a Rosco mini or lido 3. Then would figure out which espresso machine to get.