Different basket sizes for Breville Dual Boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

I'm using a Breville Dual Boiler (BES920XL), with its stock double basket. This basket seems to "like" being dosed 18-19.5g or so. When dosed at this level, the puck tends to come out dry, and while there is sometimes a screen imprint on the top of the puck, I'm pretty sure this is happening after the end of the shot when the 3-way is opening. The coffee is definitely not touching the screen before the shot starts, and I get no evidence of the severe channeling I'd expect if it was indeed expanding all the way up to the screen. All appears to be well at 18+ grams.

When I dose less (between 15.5-17.5g), I get a wet puck (which I'm fine with), but I also often find the puck stuck to to the shower screen, which sometimes turns into an annoying mess.

So my question is - is this a problem that smaller baskets are designed to prevent? I'm wondering if I pick up, say, a VST 15g basket, if I'd then be able to dose say 14-16g without issues like this.

And if a smaller basket is indeed the ticket - is a VST the suggested way to go, or are there others that might be better?

FirstBetta

#2: Post by FirstBetta »

I am using IMS competition baskets available from Espresso Parts. It also appears that excessive headspace will allow/cause the puck to be sucked up but not necessarily. For me, the <16-gram dose will cause this to happen.

gr2020 (original poster)

#3: Post by gr2020 (original poster) replying to FirstBetta »

Are you using the IMS 12/18? And still getting the puck sucked up at 16g?

gr2020 (original poster)

#4: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Just ordered a 15g VST. We'll see how it goes! :)

FirstBetta

#5: Post by FirstBetta »

Intermittently yup.

rittem1

#6: Post by rittem1 »

to almost prevent the puck sticking to the screen press manual for 1-2 seconds. It was put out just a bit of water and your puck shouldn't be stuck. I used to have about 95% of my pucks stick and now only 5% do
LMWDP #517

mrjag

#7: Post by mrjag »

Are you doing that before or after the shot?

RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE »

gr2020 wrote:Just ordered a 15g VST. We'll see how it goes! :)

Dose the 15 VST at 15 and you should be fine. I use mine for lighter roasted coffees. It's definitely harder to get a good "looking" shot from. Even more so than the 18.

Just an FYI in case you see the same.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

rittem1

#9: Post by rittem1 »

mrjag wrote:Are you doing that before or after the shot?
Right after. I can't claim credit for it but it really works
LMWDP #517