Ethiopian Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
louise78

#1: Post by louise78 »

What do you guys think about Ethiopian coffee?
I've been using it for a lot of months now, and I just love the taste. However, I want to know about more brands and good ethiopian coffee.
If you want cheap and delicious coffee, then Ethiopian coffee is what I recommend ;)

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

If you like bright citrusy espresso coffees than I can see the preference for 100% Ethiopian coffee. I prefer to blend it with some South American coffee like Brazilian for some other notes like chocolate and balance.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

louise78 wrote:What do you guys think about Ethiopian coffee?
I've been using it for a lot of months now, and I just love the taste. However, I want to know about more brands and good ethiopian coffee.
If you want cheap and delicious coffee, then Ethiopian coffee is what I recommend ;)
I'm a big fan of fruity Ethiopians, but I must admit that I've never found them 'cheap' - at least not from my local roasters! Are you speaking about greens purchases? Or have you come across a cheap brand name Ethiopian?

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

There are different coffee growing regions in Ethiopia, and they differ quite a bit.

There also are dry process Ethiopian coffees and "wet" process ones. These differ, at least to me, dramatically. The dry processed Harrar Ethiopia coffee is somewhat like the traditional Yemen coffee, at least to me. Yirgacheffe is famous. Coffee from there seems mostly wet processed, though some of it is "dry", often called natural.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

louise78 wrote:What do you guys think about Ethiopian coffee?
There is something magical about Ethiopian coffees; when I was starting out, they were the big "wow, I want more of this stuff" coffee. If you want way too much information on Ethiopian coffees, Willem Boot's guide is very good.
If you want cheap and delicious coffee, then Ethiopian coffee is what I recommend
If you go to an Ethiopian grocery; you can still get inexpensive dry process Sidamos; but at regular cafes and roasters, they are the same as most other coffees.
Jim Schulman

jitters

#6: Post by jitters »

For the last 6 months I've been using Ethiopians more than any other coffee and my wife and I like the fruitiness. They are still our favorites.

Jim thanks for that link to the Ethiopian Buying Guide. That looks like a good read!

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

jitters wrote: Jim thanks for that link to the Ethiopian Buying Guide. That looks like a good read!
+1
Amazing, what a great resource, and free!
LMWDP #371

Advertisement
louise78 (original poster)

#8: Post by louise78 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies, nice to see more people interested in this :)
Thanks for that little manual/guide, a lot of valuable information in there!

Unrooted

#9: Post by Unrooted »

The only coffee I've been successful at roasting myself is an Ethiopian Natural, it has a very strong blueberry brightness. I love the fruitier coffees from Ethiopia, Kenya and Burundi. I had an amazing Kenya Karagoto from Elysian Coffee of Vancouver BC, it had a very strong Black Currant Jam Flavor.

Thump Coffee from Bend Oregon has a good Ethiopian Natural with a strong Blueberry flavor.

pepulitz

#10: Post by pepulitz »

I went through a phase where I only drank Ethiopian coffee for months, but lately I've not been drinking a lot of it. This thread reminded me of how much I used to love it!