Are my taste buds shot? Espresso tastes too strong, no matter what - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Nick Name

#11: Post by Nick Name »

Personally I don't like filter coffee. I do enjoy espresso-based milk drinks as well as espressos. But making a good espresso is such a fine art (although some have said that there is no art in espresso making, only craft) that any mistake in the brewing (or roasting or whatever) process comes up as ten times more a mistake against filter type coffee.

Espresso is more or less concentrated coffee. If you find it too strong, maybe you just don't like it? How about americano, or a coffee shot?
Modern espresso in many 3rd wave coffee shops has gone towards lighter roasts and tighter pulls. Maybe that just isn't the style you like it?
Traditional Italian espresso is quite far from modern 3rd wave espresso....

thepilgrimsdream

#12: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Has your diet changed? Do you smoke?

I haven't done much research to back this theory up, but I find that when I eat more processed, sugary or salty foods, my palate shifts and I don't enjoy espresso as much. At the moment, I cannot drink soda because the amount of sugar tastes disgusting to me. Five years ago I loved soda, burgers and salty meats and I didn't like espresso. Today it is just about the opposite.

RyanJE

#13: Post by RyanJE »

Nick Name wrote:Personally I don't like filter coffee. I do enjoy espresso-based milk drinks as well as espressos. But making a good espresso is such a fine art (although some have said that there is no art in espresso making, only craft) that any mistake in the brewing (or roasting or whatever) process comes up as ten times more a mistake against filter type coffee.

Espresso is more or less concentrated coffee. If you find it too strong, maybe you just don't like it? How about americano, or a coffee shot?
Modern espresso in many 3rd wave coffee shops has gone towards lighter roasts and tighter pulls. Maybe that just isn't the style you like it?
Traditional Italian espresso is quite far from modern 3rd wave espresso....
Interestingly, I find somewhat different experiences in cafes.. Most / Many cafes are pulling espressos that are still oriented toward milk drinkers (yes Blue Bottle and the likes). Even when not doing that, they are pulling shots that are crazy high doses...

I think if the OP had some unique SOE that was pulled with lower doses (i.e. 15g or so range) it might be different. Still concentrated but less in your face (and potentially more likely to be extracted properly)...

THAT ALL said, straight espresso is still certainly an acquired thing. I acquired that taste only, I dont ever drink milk drinks (lactose intolerant).....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

CorvusDoug

#14: Post by CorvusDoug »

Many small craft-focused roasters are doing more modern/lighter roast styles but are still pulling shots in traditional ratios making them incredibly acidic and unapproachable.

In my opinion, pulling an incredible espresso shot that is balanced and sweet is ~incredibly~ difficult. It takes a lot of understanding of the controllable variables in espresso brewing (among the many that can't be controlled >< ).

My experience with even very well-known and renowned modern roasters pull shots at their cafes that are under extracted and sour. You might not have found espressos that you like because they're just not being executed well. My two cents.
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO