Confused on shot timing.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Stryker03

#1: Post by Stryker03 »

So I am a little confused about shot timing. I have seen both, timing starts when pump starts, and timing starts at the first drip from portafilter. For me first drip can be anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds depending on grind. So which way is best?

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

From when you switch on the pump .. this is the way all times are communicated , so keep it consistent .
Don't tie yourself up in killing a shot by time , use a brew ratio ( weight ) instead

Advertisement
Stryker03 (original poster)

#3: Post by Stryker03 (original poster) replying to Mrboots2u »

I am now pulling by ratio 18 grams coffee in to 36 grams espresso out. But I thought this should all happen in 25 to 30 seconds. So it seems they are related.

What brought this about was some Vivace Dolce I am having trouble with. 18 grams in, 36 to 39 grams out, in 25 to 30 seconds. Brew temp 201. It always taste smoky, and burnt.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Stryker03 wrote:So I am a little confused about shot timing. I have seen both, timing starts when pump starts, and timing starts at the first drip from portafilter.
Dwell time: Can someone explain? elaborates on this point. For espresso machines that have long dwell times, Jim proposed that for comparison's sake, divide by two.
Stryker03 wrote:It always taste smoky, and burnt.
If it's a dark roasted coffee, lower the temperature and decrease the dose. Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste offers more specifics.
Dan Kehn

Mrboots2u

#5: Post by Mrboots2u »

Stryker03 wrote:I am now pulling by ratio 18 grams coffee in to 36 grams espresso out. But I thought this should all happen in 25 to 30 seconds. So it seems they are related.

What brought this about was some Vivace Dolce I am having trouble with. 18 grams in, 36 to 39 grams out, in 25 to 30 seconds. Brew temp 201. It always taste smoky, and burnt.
If you are brewing by ratio , brew by ratio not time ...
Note the time for sure, don't adjust a shot by the time it takes to pull ....adjust via taste you find ...
I have had shot from 20-45 seconds that have been tasty btw...

Stryker03 (original poster)

#6: Post by Stryker03 (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I have already started lowering the brew temp. Will see how it goes.

louise78

#7: Post by louise78 replying to Stryker03 »

I've recently started lowering my brew temperature as well, it really improves the shots. Took a bit of experimenting, but I learned the best ways.