Directional Advice: Classic Faema lever or La Marzocco

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
overdose

#1: Post by overdose »

Hello gentleman,

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at reviews, blogs, videos, etc on espresso machines. My current setup is a Gaggia Carezza and a mazzer SJ. I've done OK with this with the exception of some channeling and poor steam performance. Either way, I'm ready to take the next step. I have had my eye on the Gs3, the Bezzera strega, and recently, something like a Faema Urania lever.

I know that the GS3 is in its own class, but I'm just wondering, does anyone have any practical experience with those 1950's refurbished classic levers and the new profiling machines like the Gs3? If so, what is your ultimate preference? There is quite a bit of price difference here but I'm more interested to see what someone who has owned both ultimately went with.

Thanks!

arcus

#2: Post by arcus »

My recommendation is you decide whether you want another pump machine or if you want to move to a lever machine. There are many threads on here that discuss the pros and cons of both which should give you more than enough info to help you decide. After that, it gets a lot more complex though as there are many options.

Btw, a classic Faema commercial lever that has been restored is in the same price range as a GS3.

overdose (original poster)

#3: Post by overdose (original poster) »

Like most people on this site I've read the threads. I was looking for feedback from someone with experience specifically on the GS3 and Faema lever.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

I only have experience with a GS3 in that I got to pull one shot on one at a coffee show last year.

One of the forum members, vberch, has owned both. Perhaps he'll comment on the thread or you could PM him.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

arcus

#5: Post by arcus »

If you're talking about a new GS3, I'd much prefer a Slayer as it kicks ass. A single group Strada is rumoured to be coming out so that would be the ultimate La Marzocco to have at home.

If you want low tech, low maintenance, classic looks and a gradually appreciating investment then a classic Faema lever is awesome.

#6: Post by overdose (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback. Sent something over to vberch. Much appreciated gentleman.

joatmon

#7: Post by joatmon »

Josiah,

Food for thought:

I've owned a Faema Lambro for about 6 years. Easy to maintain. I've replaced the group gasket, piston seals and the pressure relief valve in 6 years. I clean the piston and lube it every 6 months or so. I no longer lust after any espresso machine.

My take:

If you can find a nice classic Faema, buy it. They are hard to find and there will never be an abundance of these old classics for sale.

You can always find a plethora of newer machines like the GS/3 and they are only a mouse click away. If you ever want a modern machine, people will line up to purchase your old Faema classic.

Enjoy the pursuit,

Jack

#8: Post by overdose (original poster) »

joatmon wrote:Josiah,

My take:

If you can find a nice classic Faema, buy it. They are hard to find and there will never be an abundance of these old classics for sale.

You can always find a plethora of newer machines like the GS/3 and they are only a mouse click away. If you ever want a modern machine, people will line up to purchase your old Faema classic.

Enjoy the pursuit,

Jack
Jack, what I'm hearing you say is that I need both. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I think your perspective is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I'm sure La Marzocco will be there ready for a next-best-thing fling. I love this community. Thank you guys.

arcus

#9: Post by arcus »

A Faema Lambro is a good option since it's the most affordable of their classic commercial levers. The price jumps up from there. I think that along with the soon to be released Decent espresso machine would give you loads of fun.

DanoM

#10: Post by DanoM »

The above advice regarding classic lever machines is very good, but are you a lever machine kind of a person? Some want to play with endless options, settings, tuning and want quick shot after shot. If you feel you need those things then a lever could be a difficult fit for you.

On the other hand, if you like quiet, simplistic quality; machines that make great shots with a little decompression time involved; have a little patience; then a lever machine can be a real delight. They are terrific, but not everyone feels that way about them.

Either way, it sounds as if you'll have a great machine on your bench!
LMWDP #445