How do HB members pull Italian espresso?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mikeness

#1: Post by mikeness »

So after reading so much about how a coffee roasted 2 months + ago could actually taste good, I took the plunge and started experimenting with Italian bar blends. For the most part, I found the flavors of leather and tobacco to be overwhelming (rather boot and cigarette ash), but like many here I landed on Kimbo Superior blend... I'm shocked at how much I like the stuff. I'm not saying I'm never going 3rd wave again but I know have a staple in the household.

I'm curious to know how others on this forum are pulling their shots. Specifically, are you continuing to use VST baskets? Or reverted back to the stock baskets? I put my VSTs aside and went with a stock Rancilio basket dosed with 16g. Funny enough I stopped the shot at about 30g of liquid... which turned out to be very close two 2oz :shock:

Lacoffee

#2: Post by Lacoffee »

I always use VST baskets. And I pull 18g at about 40g output and use in a cortado. Milk cuts the "Italian" thing significantly and makes a nice cup. Miscela Masini Always has ridiculous cream. can be hard to displace for latte art.
Andrew

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Generally speaking, I find Italian blends work better with coarser grinds. VST baskets are obligatory fine grind; and may create too much extraction (e.g. the leathery tastes) for stock Italian blends (Illy excepted)
Jim Schulman