Tweak steam pressure on BES870

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JoshNZ

#1: Post by JoshNZ »

Hi guys,

I just bought a used BES870, had not done much research it was just a good deal that came up so I snapped it. Pretty happy with the machine overall, other than the steamer. I don't like that it doesn't have a tap and I don't like that the 'steam mode' and 'open valve' are on the same switch. You basically start steaming with the block at brew temperature and wait for it to heat up while it squirts water, then wet steam, then steam etc... Anyway, not much can be done about that.

My biggest problem is how weak the steam pressure is, it takes longer to texture and heat milk on this machine than it does with a $50 delongi crapper I've been using beforehand. I was wondering if anyone has ever modified their machine (any model) to get the steam pressure up a little? I assume the mainboard is 'listening' to a temperature sensor/Tcouple/Tstat inside the block and heating it until a specified temp is reached. Is it possible to insert a resistor in series with the sensor, or change the sensor out for a different spec'd one, or am i on the wrong track here?

Any answers appreciated and thanks in advance of course!
Josh