Need a portafilter basket for old La Cara!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davas301

#1: Post by davas301 »

Hi all,

I recently bought an old La Cara machine and am in the process of rebuilding it. One thing that I have struggled with finding is a portafilter basket. The portafilter measures 54mm on the inside diameter and I haven't been able to find any baskets of this size. Does anyone know where I could find one?

Attached is a picture of the portafilter (don't worry, soaking it in detergent is one of my next steps).

Thanks!

David

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Probably helps to inform which type you have (or add a picture of the machine :wink: )
Acc to Francesco's site there were at least three rebranded machines sold under the name la Cara.
LMWDP #483

davas301 (original poster)

#3: Post by davas301 (original poster) »

Of course, I didnt realize. Here is a picture of the machine:

grog

#4: Post by grog »

Very likely a 49mm basket. So you could use pre-mil Pavoni Europiccola/Pro baskets (still readily available); Elektra MCaL baskets; or Olympia Cremina baskets.
LMWDP #514

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm »

Looks like a LaGraziella, mine takes a standard 49mm Pavoni , I think it has the double from stefano's in it. Depends on the portafilter depth

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Looks like a la graziella, rebadged marcfi but pls have a look at Francesco's site to be sure...http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_marcfi_eng.htm

Once you know the type someone here will be able to help you along...
LMWDP #483

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

The previous posters are correct as seen here. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... la_eng.htm

As per Francesco's site: "In the 60s and 70s appeared a lever model for home use, similar to the model of Pavoni Europiccola and with logo MARCF on the front named Picola. The same model was produced by MARCF, upon request, for the U.S. market where it was marketed under the brand LA CARA"
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

nuanced

#8: Post by nuanced »

it has the same group head as the 1st gen. LP's , only difference is the mounting flange to boiler / probably will need the > brass sleeve LP seal kit from Doug at ORPHAN ESPRESSO $22 , and a special tool to unscrew the brass sleeve /

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

And add a lever to your shopping list ;-)

Machine seems to be in a nice condition, nice find :!:
LMWDP #483