Monolith conic grind adjustment tip - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

mivanitsky wrote:worse on your now motorized one, no doubt!

(not to imply that you have locked up the burrs since you motorized it!)
When I was testing it I intentionally put in very small fuses to start to pop when the grinder saw a bean and then increased the fuse size until I could just barely grind City roasts. Once I did that I tightened the burrs down to lock up setting and turned the motor on (either brave or stupid) and blew the fuse. Took the burrs out to see what they looked like and they are/were just fine, so yes, I did turn it on in a locked up situation but it was not the turn to lock up under power; I did that 3 times when it was a hand crank machine and I must say it was a pita to unlock it!

There is a reverse switch on my motorized HG-1 :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

tohenk2

#12: Post by tohenk2 »

Compass Coffee wrote:With motor running and no beans rotate adjustment counter-clockwise (finer) until hear slightest burr touch chirp and then bring arrow back clockwise to adjustment target and snug it up. Like duh the basics.
I know it is common pratice but I still get a weird clenching of my buttocks if somebody says they hear the burrs make a sound touching. I guess I can't imagine how that not affecting the burrs. One might not see it but ... (besides, tuning like this and then opening everything up again just to see if anything is damaged ... )

I adjust my Macap M4D without powering up until the burrs touch, mark that as 0, slightly turn it open again and start aiming for the right grind. The printed collar is a great help for this. I think the collar of the Monolith flat will be too. Usually find my 'spot' quickly. (I used to use the Digital bit, but since quite a while single dose pre-weight.)
Just curious - is my method very much less efficient and/or do I fret to much? Is the halving of the usability of the burrs maybe from this practice? (Not cleaning is not an option! So maybe I would have to accept that fact.)

nuketopia

#13: Post by nuketopia »

If you unscrew it (coarser) a couple of turns, it makes really darn nice press grinds. :)

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#14: Post by mivanitsky »

A couple full turns? That seems like a lot, even for press. What is the pitch on the threads of the adjustment funnel?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by FotonDrv »

Someone should rename this Thread to indicate which Monolith is being discussed.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train