Caravel 1.1 gas version

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
primusx86

#1: Post by primusx86 »

This is something for the Caravel lovers. I will be using this when out camping and such. It is a Trangia style gas burner inside a Caravel. The burner does heat up the base a bit and it has no spark starter so to negate this I start the burner and put the empty or mostly empty boiler on. I add boiling water so I can make shots quicker. I can start cooling the boiling water with cold water if I make more shots and it starts to get too hot. If I am making just one shot I just add water from a rolling boil and make a shot on the fly. I kept the old electric setup as it is working and is more practical when using the machine at home. I would discourage you to do this gas conversion as the thermostat is finicky to put back together.

CoffeeBar

#2: Post by CoffeeBar »

Wow cool, Are you modified this? Any step by step pictures for this modification ? :D

primusx86 (original poster)

#3: Post by primusx86 (original poster) »

Hi,
you need a Trangia style gas burner and you unscrew it and remove the clamp from the burner. You then insert it in to your gutted Caravel.

I also used a screw from the ceramic insulation as shown. The burner base is a very tight fit. It does not move at all.

The electric thermostat on this machine is a work of art. It has a 10 degree dead spot and once removed it is hard to make it click again.

pootoogoo

#4: Post by pootoogoo »

Wow ! Great modification ! Emidio Salati would have been proud of you. :wink:

Some Aluminum foil to protect/isolate the body could be a good addition.

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's very clever! Perhaps at some point you'll find a small piezoelectric igniter you can sneak into the case to make things easier.
LMWDP #435

#6: Post by primusx86 (original poster) »

Your comments got me thinking about somehow using a Peltier on the Caravel for phone charging while camping. Just thinking out loud, sorry. I also hope Mr. Salati approves and is not turning in his grave.

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Nice idea Primus! My only thought: Does the burner get enough air to provide good fuel combustion after the water container is in place?
No Espresso = Depresso

#8: Post by primusx86 (original poster) »

spressomon you have a good point. Trangia has more side air intake and more of a top gap than the Caravel. I will put some small spacers on the Caravel so the legs are a bit higher and also try withouth the bottom cover and see what that does. I do use a very low flame as opposed to when using the Trangia.
Thanks for your question.

naked-portafilter

#9: Post by naked-portafilter »

Hi Primus,

This is a really cool er..... I mean very hot mod on the Caravel! Would be great to see it in action.

Cheers

Gabor

#10: Post by primusx86 (original poster) »

hi Gabor, yes it is a hot mod. haha. I took some pictures. I will try and make a video eventually, but I have to find a helper.

the pictures show a change, the burner is further down so the flame has more oxygen, thank you spressomon for your advice.