Mazzer Unknown. Help identifying?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
elcoocooi

#1: Post by elcoocooi »

Hey guys,

I have recently moved back to the US and am establishing an espresso station for my home on the cheap. I just picked up a used NS Oscar for a good deal and found what had been advertised as a "Mazzer" grinder locally for a deal. Now, I would like to confirm that this is in fact a Mazzer and if so, what model.

I feel that I have given it a good look-over without finding any markings to identify what it is, but I haven't removed anything either to check for brand/model stampings. The body stands at about 12" (a bit more including the grind adjuster), it is of heavy material, came with 2 large hoppers, a chrome base plate (not pictured, sorry, I forgot) for catching any scattered grounds, and an extra set of 64mm grinders. The side has a timer that is like an egg timer; you twist it and it begins the grinder and begins "ticking" down until it buzzes and turns off. The label plate is missing off the back, but it looks more horizontally rectangular than the modern Mazzer "MMMM" label plate.

This grinder is running off my standard outlet 110v. I ground some coffee yesterday and it is actually quiet (compared to my Rancilio Rocky and Compak K6) and smooth. While I was twisting the grind setting adjuster counter-clockwise, it would squeal very loudly and almost get stuck, actually I didn't continue twisting it past the point when it got pretty difficult so that I could check on here first to make sure that I am not doing something wrong. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think!

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Looks like a Mazzer Super Jolly to me, especially with that burr size and that fairly unique hopper!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Looks to be an older (mid 1990s?) Mazzer Super Jolly. Your espresso range would be about 10-12 notches back from the point the burrs start squealing (making contact).
LMWDP 267

elcoocooi (original poster)

#4: Post by elcoocooi (original poster) »

Thank you guys. Actually, the squealing I meant to describe is not when the grinder is on, rather when I am twisting the adjuster. I don't know if stale coffee oils have created some kind of stickiness or what. How would I clean this?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

You don't want to hear squealing when you turn the adjuster. That's caused by dry threads & could lead to thread damage. Completely unscrew the adjustment ring & apply some food safe lube to the threads after giving them a good cleaning. I like the Hayne's Lubri-Film Plus for the adjustment threads. https://www.chriscoffee.com/Lubri-Film- ... -p/lfp.htm
LMWDP 267

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

It is indeed a Pre-95 Super Jolly.. I had one from 93... such a tank. Unfortunately, they all have that same gray color which isn't as nice as the silver finish on the early 2000-current Mazzers.

Also, I too faced the squeaking problem.. the threads had a lot of loose coffee grinds in them. A stiff brush can help with that. Definitely invest in new burrs.. if you haven't already.

I used to have that exact combo (Oscar + SJ) super rad, was always knocking out great drinks.

elcoocooi (original poster)

#7: Post by elcoocooi (original poster) »

Thank you for the advice. I am glad I didn't just forcibly remove the adjuster. Is there a way to replace the timer to a on/off switch? I don't think I will use the timer too much since I'm only pulling max 4 shots a day.