KALDI Fortis 600g roaster review - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
DanoM

#91: Post by DanoM »

brewtusmaximus wrote:Here is my parts list for the gas control
Thanks for the list! Looking forward to upgrading my heat source in a similar fashion.
LMWDP #445

brewtusmaximus

#92: Post by brewtusmaximus »

exhaust set-up
I feel a lot more like I do now than I did earlier.

Tonefish

#93: Post by Tonefish »

DanoM wrote:Thanks for the list! Looking forward to upgrading my heat source in a similar fashion.
Please be careful. You did see this under the description for that burner: "For outdoor use with propane gas"?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

DanoM

#94: Post by DanoM replying to Tonefish »

I'll actually be using a different burner JIS certified for indoor use, but I do want to get the needle valve and gauge options. Currently using disposable butane canisters and portable stove so I need to upgrade some of this for better control.

Technically my sunroom roasting location is outdoors by Japanese standards. Other than the table and some coffee beans there's nothing to burn in that room. Even the building side wall is concrete. Eventually, I want to have the roaster on a metal stand too.
LMWDP #445

Tonefish

#95: Post by Tonefish replying to DanoM »

Sounds like a good setup Dan, with upgrades to make it even better. Happy Roasts!

brewtusmaximus

#96: Post by brewtusmaximus »

500 grams Sweet Marias Espresso Monkey Blend

Tonefish

#97: Post by Tonefish »

Nice job Scott!

brewtusmaximus

#98: Post by brewtusmaximus »

Thank you Jim. The cappuccinos are quite tasty.

pcivic (original poster)

#99: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Hy all,

very nice to see that there are slowly more of us: owners of fortis. I can only say for myself that since opening this thread until today I am getting more and more out of this roaster!

Brewtusmaximus I see you decided to go together with original ventilation system from Kaldi, So you can maybe share some thoughts regarding it.
Also by the graphs I can only say nice roasts! especially for so little spent time with your roaster.
If I understand correctly and also looking your photos yours is without oval vent holes? Maybe I will close them to try if it makes any change to roasting dynamics.

brewtusmaximus

#100: Post by brewtusmaximus »

Hello pcivic, Yes , I purchased the Fortis with the chaff collector and bean cooler set-up. This is my first gas roaster so I have no other experience with this type of airflow control. I have to say that I really like it though and I am very pleased with the coffee I am drinking now. I attribute my success so far to watching the manufacturer's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0TRk3DZT4 multiple times and taking notes of the operators gas and airflow adjustments. With my gas control and burner I have found that I need to set it 1" wc higher. Probably because I am using propane and I suspect butane is being used in the videos. Thanks again for starting this thread.