Identification of La Pavoni portafilters

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hankbates

#1: Post by hankbates »

There seems to be a shortage of available information which would enable the identification of an LP portafilter without having its group present. I recently had the need to try to figure this out, and came up with the following:

Measure the outside diameter near the top: Pre-millennium, 57mm; Millennnium, 60mm.
Not the best approach because of the very small difference.

Better is to look at the boss into which the handle stud screws. The pre-m PF has the boss exposed almost all the way to the middle, on the Millennium it disappears into the body shortly after moving away from the outer diameter.
See below:

The PF on the left is Millennium, on the right, pre-Millennium.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

There are at least three VERY different portafilters on the generation I and generation II groups. (49mm, 1961 to 2000)

The one I have from 1964 is much deeper than modern ones, and the bottom is quite flat. The spout is covered on top. The threaded rod holding on the handle is M10. Its physical appearance is very different from modern ones. (It holds the longer MCAL filter baskets with ease.)

The one from the 1978 is shallower than the earlier one, and the bottom is more curved. The spout is open on top. The threaded rod is also M10. (It is still deep enough to hold the MCAL filter baskets, though much shorter than earlier ones.)

The one from the 1999 is slightly shallower than the 1978 version. The shape is similar, and the spout is similar. The threaded rod is M12. (It barely holds the MCAL filter baskets, I understand some of these are too shallow to do thiS.)

Again all La Pavoni Europiccola and Professional portafilters seem to be interchangeable for all generation I and II groups, those made during 2000 or before. The two earlier ones with M10 threads are apparently preferable because they all seem to hold MCAL filter baskets which are larger and more readily available.

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

My 1984 Professional came with a PF that looks similar to the pre-millenium in the first post. Threads are M10; it was too short to handle the MCAL basket. Now that it's been chopped for naked it handles the MCAL baskets just fine of course.
It's also one of the models with a basket retainer ring groove. I really like that when it comes to knocking out the pucks!
LMWDP #445

hankbates (original poster)

#4: Post by hankbates (original poster) »

My 1999 Romantica Pro PF (on right) has M12 threads, and handles the MCal double baskets. I remove the baskets by grabbing their upper diameter with my fingers, and I set them in the sink to cool a bit. If all was done well, I can hold them over the trash can, clap them together, and 2 whole pucks come out.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…