Artisan trouble - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#11: Post by SJM »

roastimo wrote:I do not exit artisan when roasting back to back, nor do I press "reset". instead as JK explains above, I similarly press "off", wait, save the file, press "start", wait, and then continue under "roast" heading to "background" "load" and so on. At points it pays to wait: even when loading the new background there is a delay and the new one may remain hidden, but clicking the cursor onto the background will cause the hidden entity to show, while at the same time the old load menu vanishes. These delays are seconds, not minutes.
So, when is the Reset button used?
For some reason I have thought that the profile stayed on the screen until I RESET, but obviously I haven't been paying attention.

roastimo

#12: Post by roastimo replying to SJM »

I don't know, as I have pressed it only by mistake. But like any ordinary microsoft pedestrian user I go with what works, and imagine the reset is too much of discarding my settings, whereas the off and start is more user friendly. By talking about microsoft I'm merely indicating where some of my bad habits and attitude comes from. We do have the Artisan authority on this forum who generously gives us answers. I'm roasting today, so I'll check what the reset does, see if it removes more than background or just that, or what.

Advertisement
roastimo

#13: Post by roastimo »

SJM wrote:So, when is the Reset button used?
For some reason I have thought that the profile stayed on the screen until I RESET, but obviously I haven't been paying attention.
I did check the RESET button, and it allowed me to change my time axis whereas changing the time axis without RESET did not keep, it changed temporarily. OFF and START are effective in running back to backs, but for getting a better looking output RESET is needed. Probably for other things I am unaware of. Here are before and after RESET, change time axis. Maybe 15 minutes would have shown better for this roast, which has been set for 24 minutes. The axis is set to "locked", so there may be a flexible usage

Elsewhere someone has suggested generating a "Artisan for Dummies", which I might benefit from, given I have an aversion to reading documentation, and usually if there exists one such, then there are others, therefore this response here

SJM

#14: Post by SJM »

Okay, that makes sense.

RESET suggests that you have core settings that you want to go back to.

Using OFF/START would maintain settings that you might have made on the fly. For example if you made changes to the Axes and you wanted to use those changes during a series of roasts but had (as I do) a base of settings that you find useful.

roastimo

#15: Post by roastimo replying to SJM »

You said it better than I did :)