Mazzer Super Jolly-1st time use, chirping, and adjustments.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Apedra

#1: Post by Apedra »

Just upgraded from a Baratza Precisio to a brand new Mazzer Super Jolly. The machine comes more or less fully put together, and there isn't really any installation instructions other than having a professional install it, and to keep the hopper in place with the screw.

Are there any steps, tips to get me dialed in?

Also, I saw some video where the SJ owner was finding the zero point by listening to a chirping sound. I can get to this point, but I feel that even as I move away from this 0 point, I can still here a faint somewhat chirping sound. It seems to be more pronounced if I make adjustments while the machine is running.

One last question, the manual says to adjust while the machine is running, but is there any real problem to making adjustments when the machine is off?

I appreciate any help I can get on this. Feeling a little overwhelmed as I don't want to ruin this new machine.

PS. This thing is huge!!

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

When the burrs are close enough to chirp any small pressure on the adjustment collar can cause one area of the of the top burr to become closer to the bottom burr, causing temporary chirping. This is due to the small amount of play in the threads of the adjustment collar. [nothing to worry about]

After beans have been ground; Adjustments should only be made when the motor is running so the burrs do not get locked if adjusting finer. Consider the case of grinding some beans and determining the grind must be made finer. If adjusting the collar to a finer position [burrs closer together] while the motor is off the burrs will become locked and the motor will fail to start.

Don't worry about damaging the grinder, they do not self destruct.

Finally, you may want to search around for threads that discuss breaking in a grinder. New burrs can generally benefit from grinding some beans or rice before attempting to dial in the first time.

Apedra (original poster)

#3: Post by Apedra (original poster) »

Thanks for the reassurance and advice Bill. I was starting to think that the chirping had something to do with the pressure I was putting on the handle as I adjusted the grind. Coffee beans are too expensive to do a break in where I'm living. But I may have to bite the bullet and do a kilo or so.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by jwCrema »

Bill's advice should be a sticky for everyone new to the SJ.

Since it is brand new, my advice is to not take it apart until you learn how to use it. I don't know why, but this happens.

Mazzer ships them with the notch pretty close to the espresso grind. Even when I installed Duranium burrs it was close to the starting point notch. So, you shouldn't need to do anything big. I have had a a Mini, SJ and a Major and has been true in all cases.

My SJ never went more than 4 notches from the factory start point. Once you get close, the final tweak can be less than 1/8 of the distance between notches - an amazingly small distance.

It's a great machine - you'll be pleased with it.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I'm also a 1st time Super Jolly owner and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd chime in here.

I just picked mine up used off CL. It looks to be in pretty good condition and came with the short hopper. My plan is to use it for my farmers market gig making espresso. It's way too big for my kitchen, but I'll be using it there while I get used to it and the new Astoria Argenta junior.

Supposedly this SJ came with one month old duranium burrs. Here's a pic of the upper burr. It seems ok, but there are some tiny nicks on some of the edges. You can see one under the screw at 2 o'clock.

Almico

#6: Post by Almico »

So...I'm really enjoying my first real "commercial" grinder. It's stupid big for the kitchen, but I could get used to it! It's quiet, easy to dial in, nice crema (even with my DP Ethiopians) and the taste is on par with my Pharos. Couldn't asked for more.