Breville BES870XL Double Shot Pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dukewacoan

#1: Post by Dukewacoan »

I recently bought a new Breville BES870XL and have one issue I have not been able to resolve.

When I grind and make a single shot, I receive good pressure and have no problems that I can tell.

When I grind and make a double shot, the pressure never rises above the pre-infusion range on the gauge (ie never enters the gray area). I am using the same grind size (3-4), same grind amount (3 o'clock), same method of tamping, same beans, etc as with the single shot.

I've read a number of suggestions online, but none of them seem to work.

Suggestions?

NBA

#2: Post by NBA »

Increase the amount - 17g +-1g

Advertisement
Apogee

#3: Post by Apogee »

+ 1 increase dose.

chrisbodnarphoto

#4: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I've used that machine fairly heavily over the past 3 years, so here are some tips I've found helpful ::

1 :: buy a scale and DONT rely on the auto doser knob - it gets too inconsistent. I've been happy with anything from 17-20 grams depending on coffee type, grind, and age of the beans. You can manually dose by pressing and holding the button in with the portafilter - when you let go it will stop.

2 :: after you turn on the machine, attach the empty portafilter and run 2 single shots of water into your cup. This does a few things -- it warms up the machine quickly to a fairly stable temp; it warms up your portafilter; it warms up your cup that you plan on using!

3 :: one trick that most people don't know is that you can manually control the length of time for the pre-infusion on the machine. If you press and hold the single shot button it will go into manual mode and continue to only use pre-infusion pump pressure until you release the button, which is when it kicks into full pressure. You press again to stop the pump. This allows you to explore the basics of pre infusion as well as manually control your brew rations (1:2 is one I'm often happy with on the 870).

After you play and explore you'll come to learn it's a pretty decent machine that makes a pretty decent shot! It's a bugger to get extremely consistent shots out of, but you'll get far more winners than losers using the tips above.