(Ponte Vecchio) Zacconi Riviera spring lever safety valve, combined with vacuum vent?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Matvey

#1: Post by Matvey »

I have an old one Riviera with spring lever and 45mm Zacconi grouphead, which is also used for actual PV models.

Every time a start the beast I have to open the steam valve to bleed the air which was inside the boiler. Just wonder if the safety valve is combined with the vacuum vent (as on newer Pavonis) or not? Probably my vent needs some maintenance?

Mine vent looks like on this pic:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... C_5019.JPG

The PV Export has following safety valve:
https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/imag ... export.jpg

Advertisement
redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

I also have a Riviera machine albeit the eagle variety. Opening the steam vent until the needle on the gauge stabilizes is normal for these machines. The valve you are referring to is a over pressure safety valve in the event the pressurestat fails. I prefer this as opposed to the hissing of the Pavoni machine you mentioned. Very easy procedure and takes little time for the steam to purge from the tank and the pressure/temp to stabilize ready for the shot.
Just be sure to do a flush once the needle is in the green and wait for the green light to turn on and you are ready for a pull.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Matvey (original poster)

#3: Post by Matvey (original poster) »

So, it's not combined, although it looks almost as a combi-vent.

Someone here wanted to have a vacuum vent as well, but PV Lusso has enough place inside. In case of Riviera it looks a bit more complicated
http://coffeeforum.org.au/projects-rebu ... usso-mods/

P.S. I have no "green zone", just white Manometer :)

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

I have the older Eagle with the colours within the gauge. You get the idea. Interesting mods. Bleeding off the overpressure is a no brainer for me as I prefer not hiss during operation and the process.

The machine is heavy and temperature stable. Sensitive to dosing and does not like overfilling the basket.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Matvey (original poster)

#5: Post by Matvey (original poster) »

Thanks for the info, than just a couple of new questions? :)

- do you have an original 4.5mm Spring or a PV one, 5mm thick? I've tried an original one and replaced it with a stronger PV version
- the grouphead gasket (a new one) is really stinking, I've installed an old one and a I'm a bit curious, can not understand how can anyone use it with such a smell, the gasket is original, from our local supplier
- do you have any problems steaming milk? I mean technically, it's hard for me to twist the milk inside the pitcher with it

I've replaced a presurestat as well, at the moment it has 1.15 bar as max value.

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

The machine was recently overhauled by Nelson a.k.a. crazyforespresso. The spring was in great condition showing no pitting. Spring was cleaned, lubed and kept in place. I believe it's the 7 coil version. I often felt that it needed a stronger spring good to know the PV would work.
I had some GH gaskets made locally in white food grade approved material. The old gasket was deteriorating and not sealing to my liking. Depending on the age of your machine group heads may be different, mine is the older style from and made by the original company before the current restart.
I have no issue steaming milk. My Riviera eagle steam wand appears different than yours. The only issue I had was with the compression seal on the valve not closing fully. Seal was replaced and now good as new.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549